X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tap or Different Bolt - Oil Pan

Hi.

I have an 83 suzuki GS 1100 gk.

I must have tightened my bolt down to tight, as I stripped it.

Do I need to retap it or can I just buy a bigger one?

Thanks
    Brian

If you do a forum search for stripped oil plug, you will find many options that run from cheap to expensive, temp to permanent. I personally used a self-tapping oversize drain plug.

Comment

Thanks Don!

thanks so much. I have not been on for awhile thanks for reminding me of the archives, I have found so much stuff there.

Thanks again for stopping to help!

Brian :-D

Comment

I think Nappa sells a plug and play.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Stripped Oil Pan Plug

Mine stripped out as well. I took the original to Napa Auto Parts and they had one, one size larger that worked perfectly. Well that is to say until I did my next change and found that with minimal force I stripped it again.

Now I have been doing oil changes on my own for over 30 years without ever stripping a bolt. Now it has happened twice. All I guess I can say is this #$@% aluminum.

After my 2nd stripping I used a bit of liquid gasket dabbed around the collar and sealed it up. Use caution if using this method as you will not want to end up 30 miles down the road with 20 miles between you and your oil plug.

Comment

If it were me I would take the sump off (about 12 bolts) and have the hole drilled and time certed. A cheaper version would be helicoiling.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
            1983 GS(X)1100ESD
            2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Working...
            X