Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Gasket Gasket? Yes, that is what I mean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Gasket Gasket? Yes, that is what I mean.

So, on my 82GS650GL, I took the head off to fix the head gasket that was leaking all over my leg. On the four corners, I find there are gaskets within the head gaskets on the four studs on the corners. It was leaking on the front right side where this orange gasket was MISSING!!! It just wasn't there. So here is my question. On any fiche I see, the head gasket is labeled but not these little gaskets within the head gasket. Will these little guys come with a new head gasket? Also, since we are on the subject, should I go with an OEM head gasket or is there something better. I found it to be $82 on Sportlandmotorsports.com. Thanks everyone!

PS. I broke off 5 bolts that hold the cam bearings on when tearing down the engine. $100 to the machine shop, and hopefully will get it back this week. BE CAREFUL WHEN TAKING THESE OUT. I went slow and steady and 5 of the 16 still snapped. Live and learn.

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
    So, on my 82GS650GL, I took the head off to fix the head gasket that was leaking all over my leg. On the four corners, I find there are gaskets within the head gaskets on the four studs on the corners. It was leaking on the front right side where this orange gasket was MISSING!!! It just wasn't there. So here is my question. On any fiche I see, the head gasket is labeled but not these little gaskets within the head gasket. Will these little guys come with a new head gasket? Also, since we are on the subject, should I go with an OEM head gasket or is there something better. I found it to be $82 on Sportlandmotorsports.com. Thanks everyone!

PS. I broke off 5 bolts that hold the cam bearings on when tearing down the engine. $100 to the machine shop, and hopefully will get it back this week. BE CAREFUL WHEN TAKING THESE OUT. I went slow and steady and 5 of the 16 still snapped. Live and learn.
    They don't come with a new gasket but they do come with a Vesrah gasket set. I recommend you get the set: www.crc2onlinecatalog.com

The bolts are steel into aluminum corrosion stuck. An impact driver may have helped. Use anti-sieze to avoid the problem in the future.

Comment

Yup, they're a Vesrah gasket thing, not a Suzuki part.

With that said, they seem to work fine as long as they are actually there.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ok, maybe I am stupid, but I can't find them for my bike. If I do go for the OEM gasket, do I just leave the 3 I have out? Thanks for the help.

Comment

I believe they are a molded part of the OEM gasket

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
            Ok, maybe I am stupid, but I can't find them for my bike. If I do go for the OEM gasket, do I just leave the 3 I have out? Thanks for the help.
            those oarang things that you see mssign and you cant find on a parts fiche is because they dont exist.Vesrah gaskets have big holes on the four corner head bolts with orange copper washers bult in to the gaskets.One of yours must have worn completely out and has become worn out to the point of not being findable.I got a vesrah gasket set for my suzuki gs 1000,opened it just today.They have the big holes on the corners.Also the vesrah is a chintzy one layer paper looking thing.I had a 5 laeyr metal gasket form an athena kit and that is the one i chose to put on.I would sugest the same for you.It wont need any gaskets within the gasket on the four corners because it has small holes with circular washers reinforecement in each of the corners buly into it.A suzuki original multilayer or athena aftermarket is my recommendation.They sure dont hold oil allright with one corner missing.
            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
            X