Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you put the Seafoam? (Deep Creep)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you put the Seafoam? (Deep Creep)

Hey all. I just got my Seafoam in the tank but I also want to use the Deep Creep. I sprayed a bunch in the airbox above the filter inlet but can't really get good access to all the boots. Is there a good vacuum source as recommended on the Seafoam bottle? I didn't see any smoke either like I was expecting so I'm not sure it worked. This is a '79 850 by the way. Thanks.

Josh

That won't do anything except burn in your cylinders. If you are trying to clean the inside of the carbs spray either in the fuel line from the petcock or the two vent lines which go directly into your float bowls.
    I would run the bike with the petcock lever on off or with the fuel line disconnected and let the float bowls empty. Fill the fuel line till it comes out the tube. Let it sit for a day or two and make sure it stays full.
    I've never done this but this is the only access I can figure for the float bowl with the carbs on the bike. I think you would drain the deep creep out of the bowls with the float bowl plug screws. Or you let it run through the bike. I'm not sure so someone please pipe up.
    Last edited by chef1366; 05-21-2007, 11:25 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Seafoam is used for many things. In performance autos, the deep creep is used in a different manner. If I understand its use correctly, you should try to free rings and such with this part. I would use the vacuum to the petcock to insert the creep, which is the manner it is used in cars.

Comment

Ah, yes. That makes sense. I had read of a few people saying great things about the Deep Creep and want to try it out before I have time to really rebuild the carbs. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          I would use the vacuum to the petcock to insert the creep, ...

If you insert the deep creep via the vacuum line to the petcock, it will only go through carb #2. :shock:

The best method I have found is to empty the whole can of SeaFoam into the gas tank, fill the tank with gas, then ride. \\/
          Run most of the tank out on your ride, then leave the heavily-dosed gas in the carbs overnight. Refill the tank the next morning and go for another ride, but this one only has to be enough to dilute the mixture back down to more "normal" strengths.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Actually it will only go into the #2 cylinder. :shock:
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ok, I picked up some seafoam as well the other day and put a bit in my gas tank, but saw no smoke. Would pouring the whole can in the gas tank hurt the bike in any way? Its says 1oz. per gallon so the whole bottle seems a bit extreme.

Comment

Their ratio of 1 ounce per gallon of fuel is for "normal" cleaning and routine maintenance. If you feel you need some "extreme" cleaning because you suspect clogged jets, a stronger ratio will not hurt for a few hours. I would not, however, dump the whole can in and leave it for a week. When working on somebody else's bike, I have been known to give it a strong dose, ride for a couple of hours to get the over-dosed fuel flowing through the clogged jets, then park it overnight before filling the tank the next morning to dilute the mixture a bit.

My bikes get ridden enough to keep them somewhat clean, but in the spring I take a can of SeaFoam, put just about half in my wife's 4+ gallon tank on her 850, then put the rest in the 6+ gallon tank on my Wing. We then go for an all-day ride, top off the tanks to dilute the mixture, go home and park the bikes. Have not had a carb problem for YEARS. \\/

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What I have had the most luck with was to take a double dose of seafoam to the tank, rock the bike to get it more or less mixed up. Open the carbs to let gas freely drain until I was certain the Seafoam has made it to the carbs. I then let the bike sit overnight and drain the carbs, noting the color of the gas. If it was still dirty looking, I'd let it sit for 4 more hours and repeat. Once the gas looked clear, I've started the bike and let it run for 20 minutes (use a fan for cooling) and listen for poor idle... Usually the bike would sputter for about 2 minutes and then go into a nice clockwork, rev a bit to blow the carbon out of the exhuast and then I'd go for a quick spin. Has never let me down yet!

Comment

More Seafoam will not hurt anything. Go ahead and dump the whole can in there if you want an extreme cleaning. Only downside is the price of the product and how much you just used. ;-) I've never really gotten much smoke when adding it to gas. When it really smokes is if you fog the intakes directly or dump a little in through the spark plug holes.

Comment

Working...
                    X