Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is The Output Terminal And What Does It Do??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Is The Output Terminal And What Does It Do??????

WHAT IS THE OUTPUT TERMINAL (on a 1980 GS550 E)
    WHAT DOES IT DO??????

in what context?

not quite sure what you're asking about.

Comment

it is mounted on the right side of the air box near the fuse panel, it has a positive lead connected to the starter relay, has a fuse in it, it grounds via the bolt holding it to the air filter box. its called an "output terminal" on every model and year gs550 that i have wiring diagrams for.

i'm replacing all the worn, damaged, fried electrical components on my bike, and i'm curious as to what it does and how it relates to the chargin system and the ignition system

Comment

That sounds like what some people might call an Auxilliary or Accessory terminal. You can use it to connect a volt meter or charging leads, or anything else that requires 12-volt power, and it gives you that opportunity to do so without cutting and splicing into the harness.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Simple, it puts out just like my EX. :?
          Naw, it is like an auxilary power output.

Comment

so then i could wire my new Dyna S into if i so choose? (instead of using the splice terminal the kit came with)

though i'm actually thinking of cutting the wires off the old ignitor and connecting the Dyna wires (using just 3, the orange/white (power) the white and the yellow-striped black, instead of 6) and reusing the factory connector (that connects the ignitor unit to the rest of the bike's wires)

good idea? bad idea?

Comment

I believe the intent of this power outlet is more for things like electric vests and other accessories then for what you propose. On my bike, this outlet has a 10-amp fuse, so whatever you hook up needs to pull less than that. I suspect ignition stuff would pull more.

ThreeTimer.

Comment

That terminal I believe is "always on". You want to hook your Dyna to a switched circuit (on when ignition is on)
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

good call, i hopefully would have noticed that when i was at the bike.
                  but i'm planning on using the wiring formerly belonging to the now defunct ignitor

Comment

Working...
                  X