Dyna S install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S install

While starting the install of the Dyna S i began tracing wires and realized to my horror that the wiring on my bike does not match the wiring diagram (from Clymer M373 SUZUKI gs550 1977-86 exclusive full color wiring diagrams... 7'th edition, third printing) for the 1980 GS550 ET (there was no E ...why??) on top of that the wiring is like a bizarro mix of the ET and LT (what is the T???) wiring diagrams. (example of wierdness clymer says the ignitor unit is under battery box, but it was under the air filter box)

I believe the ignitor unit is toast and want to bypass it but don't wanna cut and splice the wrong wires. I'm under the impression that the Dyna S replaces the ignitor unit, but not sure.

stephen sroberts@whoi.edu

Yes it replaces the ignitor. Just tape up the orig wires. Run the dyna wires direct to the coils

Comment

The "T" designator was Suzuki's model year identifier. Basically, all bikes made in '80 were "T's". Check this link from the homepage for more info on this. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_modelchart.htm

Man, I hate manuals that run a multitude of model years. There are just too many differences. You should try to find a manual specific to your bike. Factory manual would be best. Keep an eye out on ebay.

Can't help with the Dyna. I installed a Dyna S on my '78 GS1000, but it had points. No CDI.

Comment

oh thats another thing, i have a mechanical advance ... even though according to the dyna manual i shouldn't.

the dyna instruction tell me to put this washer on the bolt holding in the mech. advance, but if i do that i can't tightin down the bolt (i mean i can, but then the mechanical advance won't move.) if I assemble it with out the washer, the black do-hicky (otherwise known as the rotor) sides out and in (NOT rotating off the mech advance) around a bit. is this an issue... i'm sure i'll find out once i'm done replacing the stator and reg/recitifer and fire it up

Comment

You don't want the rotor sliding around (in and out on the shaft). The alignment of the rotor to the pickup coils is fairly precise. If your spacer is too thick and causing it to bind, find something else to use as a spacer. Just make sure the magnet on the rotor lines up with the pickups perfectly. I used a washer I had lying around. Important thing is that there's no slop, but the mechanical timing advance can still freely do its thing.

My '81 650E had the mechanical advance in there, too. Some bikes had both electronic ignition and mechanical advance during the 'transition' years. Perfectly normal. In fact, consider yourself lucky that you don't have to find and retrofit a mech advance unit!
          Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2007, 04:19 PM.

Comment

thanks for the info, i'll dig around until i find the perfect washer..you wouldn't happen to know the shaft size of hand would ya

oh trust me i do feel lucky, one less thing to buy. after droppin down $$$ for a dyna s, new stator (Electro Sport) , and reg/rectifier (E.S.)..... the wallet feels alot lighter

are new coils worth the money???

any tips for stator install

Comment

Unless there's something wrong with your coils, you'll see no difference with aftermarket coils. Save your money.

Sorry, I don't know the shaft size. I took the rotor with me to the hardware store, as I recall. Nylon is a good material for the washer; durable but won't bind.

Stator install is pretty easy. I like to tip the bike to the right side for a bit and get as much oil out of the area as possible. Then you can put it on the center stand and loose very little oil when you take the cover off. Be careful when you're removing the cover as the stator is attached and you can break the magnets on the stator rotor if you're too rough with it, especially if you have engine guards (ask me how I know!). It's not really any bigger of a job than the Dyna install IMHO.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2007, 04:26 PM.

Comment

yeah thats what i figured..... thanks for the advice... off to the hard ware store

on a side note do you know what an "output terminal" does?? and how it relates to either the charging or if it at all relates to the ignition?

Comment

Originally posted by swrupert83 View Post
                  on a side note do you know what an "output terminal" does?? and how it relates to either the charging or if it at all relates to the ignition?
                  That's a pretty generic term and doesn't mean anything without context. ;-)

Where are you seing that phrase?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                    The "T" designator was Suzuki's model year identifier. Basically, all bikes made in '80 were "T's". Check this link from the homepage for more info on this. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_modelchart.htm

Man, I hate manuals that run a multitude of model years. There are just too many differences. You should try to find a manual specific to your bike. Factory manual would be best. Keep an eye out on ebay.

Can't help with the Dyna. I installed a Dyna S on my '78 GS1000, but it had points. No CDI.
                    FYI: http://www.repairmanualclub.com/ This link wound up providing me with a free pdf of a factory service manual for my bike. Registration is free, site support is non-existent, but, ultimately, I got the FSM and for free!

Comment

i ended up writing a seperate post for this question... and got the answer i needed, but thanks (it turns out its an aux power supply) but "output terminal" is how it is listed on the wiring diagram ... and is the only thing labled that.. for multiple years and models of the gs550

Comment

thanks for the link, i'm ready to get goin, i did a couple of "dry run" installs of the dyna s. so today i'm gonna do it for "real" (final..aka connecting wires, timing set...permenant)
                        I plan on taking step by step pictures and label... so hopefully it will be useful to all planning this project.

thanks everyone for the advice!!

stephen
                        1980 GS550E

Comment

Working...
                        X