Installing a Pingel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a Pingel

Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions for installing a Pingel petcock? I thought there were instructions in the GSR somewhere (granted, it was about 6 years ago that I saw them.....), but I haven't found them in an hour of searching. I have a 1982 GS650GL, but I'm sure the concept is basically the same for any, no?

This is step number one to fix gas in crankcase...

Thanks in advance.

Kristen

Pingel

Hey Kristen, there's absolutely scads of information authored by me and many others. I described the entire process 6, or so, years ago. Do a search for "Pingel project completed". I know that one's still there and I did several others within about 5 or 6 days prior to that. It's very simple but there are a few tricks....
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-22-2007, 04:18 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Found it!

It was actually under another title, but here it is copied for others to see if they are interested!

Thanks, chuckycheese!

Kristen

Remove seat

remove bolts at back of tank

lift back of tank a bit so you can disconnect the fuel line and vaccuum hose

disconnect wires to fuel gauge sender when you remove the tank

a tank air vent hose is under there also

remove the tank and balance it on your head

trim and block off the vaccuum line from #2 carb.

pour as much of the gas out of the tank that you can

unscrew the petcock and remove

clean the surface

match up the adapter plate to see if its the correct one

install adapter plate and gasket--gasket sealer is a matter of opinion

apply Teflon tape to the threads on the new manual petcock to make it
      leak proof and also to ensure that the gas outlet is facing the right way

i don't remember anything else. oh yes on some bikes it may be necessary to slightly enlarge the hole in the gas tank with a file to allow for fuel screen clearance

maybe take the tank off your head and reverse the procedure

Comment

You bet!

You're welcome, Kristen, although I'm pretty sure that post wasn't mine. There's a little more to it and it's all important. Be sure to measure your mount holes, center to center before you order the adapter plate. The 1980's are one size and, as I remember, the others are a different size but the same for the other years.

You'll probably have to shorten the 'stand pipe' so it will fit all the way in the gas tank (depending upon the configuration of your particular tank). It's a good idea, anyway, because if you don't, you're likely to go on 'reserve' long before it's of any use to do so.

In order to do that, you'll need to gently pry loose the screen at the base of the petcock and remove it. Then, take any small tube cutter (they're about $3 at a hardware store and they work very easily) and shorten the stand pipe to your preference. On my bike, I think I left about 1 3/4 inches. The shorter you make it, the less mileage you'll have on reserve.

After you get that figured out, you'll need to trim the screen/filter and put it back on. The folks at Pingel are great and one of them sent me a little packet of adhesive. I didn't end up using it because my screen snapped back on and was solidly in place.

Your petcock adapter plate will include a little goop to seal it to the tank...be sure to use it. I installed the petcock with a couple of turns of Teflon tape around the threads and I've never leaked a drop in the 6, or so, years I've had it on. One last thing...you'll want the lever pointed in the right direction so you might give it a 'dry run' and partially screw it into the tank in order to get an idea of how you want to start threading it.

If you have any questions, please let me know. It sounds a little complicated buy once you start doing it, you'll find every step to be quite simple. Good luck...and don't cut the stand pipe too short; you can always trim off a little more later on if you find you've got too many miles on reserve!!:-D Ohhh, and don't forget to put a rubber cap on the vacuum port on your carb. You can get one at any auto parts store for about 30 cents. Also, remember to shut off the gas when you shut off the engine. In a short time, you'll do it without even thinking about it.
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-22-2007, 05:03 PM.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
        X