GS 850L seat question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850L seat question....

heya, new to the site...excited as hell there is a gl forum. just bought an 81 gs850l with less than 6k miles from the original owner. wanted a 850g but this has been in a heated garage for 5+ years and it was only 800 bucks so i jumped on it....anyway.....will a flat seat from a g fit my l and if not does anyone have any sugestions for losing the "cruiser" style seat for a flat seat....any info would be great...thanks -nate

No, your "flat" seat will not fit. Due to the drop in the middle of the frame, it would take some serious work to adapt it. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A few people have recontoured the seat foam to get a flatter looking seat -- basically cut down the back a bit (hope you weren't planning on carrying any passengers) and build up the front (if you're tall enough to reach the ground with more height in the seat) to get the look you want, then have an upholsterer make a custom cover.

With a low-mileage machine in great shape like yours, I'd really hate to butcher up a nice original seat. You could remove the cover and foam and set them aside, then sculpt your own seat on the seat pan. That way, you could return to stock pretty easily.

Before you monkey with the seat, you might want to try changing the stock handlebars if they are still on the bike. Original GL handlebars are an ergonomic and aesthetic nightmare, and mounting up a better set will make you a lot more comfortable and make the bike much more pleasant to ride for long distances. You might not feel the need to change the seat then.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thanks........i am of above average height so getting my ass a little higher up off the ground is something i am looking to do anyway.....i really wanted a G but this thing was to perfect to pass up.....i am gonna mold my own seat using the original seat pan and have it covered.....
        Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2007, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X