trying to find a throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to find a throttle cable

I am having some difficulty finding a replacement throttle cable for my 83 1100 ed. Do I just need to measure and replace with one the same langth or is their a place to get the oem parts?
    josh

Just go to your nearest dealer and order it.It will be cheaper than ordering over the net.

Comment

z1 Enterprises?

Flat out motorcycles.

Bike Bandit.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

On e-bay right now, New, Buy it now $12 + s/h
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Source for OEM parts

Originally posted by pinner View Post
          I am having some difficulty finding a replacement throttle cable for my 83 1100 ed. Do I just need to measure and replace with one the same langth or is their a place to get the oem parts?
          josh
          I swear by http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com . Their website has exploded fiche style OEM diagrams. I am surprised at how much of the older stuff I can still buy ... if the part shows up with a price, it's available. Speaking of prices, they are significantly less expensive than dealers. Plus, it's really cool to be able to study the diagrams at your convenience and leisure, and plan out your jobs.

phaedrus

Comment

I saved a search on ebay with the keywords "gs 1000" and now I get an email every morning with newly listed parts, I must see at least 2-3 of these go by my email in a week.

Comment

Dealer has them for usually less than what you can find them for online after you add shipping.

Comment

If you are desperate, use a bicycle cable and 1/4 inch brass tubing.

Cut the cable to match the needed length, plus 3/4 of an inch to allow for splaying the cable when fitting ends.

Run the cable through the sheath

Cut the tube to match the desired length of the slot, then drill a 1/16 hole in one side of the tube

Insert the cable and push through. Splay the end of the cable until it looks like frizzy hair then pull slowly and carefully back into the tubing until the frizzy part is inside the tubing. Be careful because you do not want it pulled all the way through.

Solder it in place. Fill the tube with solder.

Sometimes the cable has a good end that will fit your purpose, so only one fitting has to be made. If not, repeat the above to complete the job.

I have done this on bikes and cars for years.

For brake and clutch use the bicycle cable is too weak. For these, use 1/16 inch galvanized aircraft cable.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                  If you are desperate, use a bicycle cable and 1/4 inch brass tubing.

Cut the cable to match the needed length, plus 3/4 of an inch to allow for splaying the cable when fitting ends.

Run the cable through the sheath

Cut the tube to match the desired length of the slot, then drill a 1/16 hole in one side of the tube

Insert the cable and push through. Splay the end of the cable until it looks like frizzy hair then pull slowly and carefully back into the tubing until the frizzy part is inside the tubing. Be careful because you do not want it pulled all the way through.

Solder it in place. Fill the tube with solder.

Sometimes the cable has a good end that will fit your purpose, so only one fitting has to be made. If not, repeat the above to complete the job.

I have done this on bikes and cars for years.

For brake and clutch use the bicycle cable is too weak. For these, use 1/16 inch galvanized aircraft cable.
                  How much does aircraft cable run? Here I can the most expensive of the cables for $15 and some change

Comment

Working...
                  X