Battery problems or worse????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery problems or worse????

I turned my bike off and it barely started.Check the wires on the r/r and had a hard one that was brittle and broken.Took the connector off the r/r and spliced the wires from the stator where the old plug was to the r/r wires to get rid of the plug connectors.i charged my battery back up (its 2 years old) last night till the charger light came on( fully charged).I then checked it today when i got home and it was still showing full charge after 30 seconds on the charger, and then I put it in.Rode around for a while about 6 miles and when I checked it after that it was down and took a few minutes to charge back up.I have a fairly new r/r and was wondering if a battery will hold a charge overnite but not hold a charge under load.I did not get above 40mph. and rpm's not above 5 G.The battery is from the auto parts store and made in china.Would it be safe to say the battery if going south or is my new r/r gone bad already.Im going to take the battery up to get it load tested tommorrow.It has not lost any fluid and has worked great up till now. Any thoughts would be helpfull cause i hate electrical problems.

10 to 1 the battery is ready for the trash. I never got 2 years of use from a lead acid battery. Usually less than one year. LOL

E.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Before you start throughing parts at it GET a volt meter & check the charging circuit. I'm not saying the battery is good ? just need to make a few checks

Comment

Is it a sealed battery or do you add water?
        Only use distilled water for a battery.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have had better luck with batteries than Earl, apparently, as one stayed with me for five years.

The battery may be poor, or it may not, but even while manufacturers insist they are wonderful, twenty years of history with the charge status lights have amply demonstrated that they are worthless.

Take Lynn's advice and get a meter for a full check of the system.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

There are three basic components in the charging/electrical system; stator, rectifier/regulator, battery. If there is a problem with any one of them, you could experience the problems that you just described. The best way to determine which one (or more) might be the problem, get a decent multimeter (auto-ranging digital is nice) and follow the tests outlined in Section IV of the Stator Papers found in the Garage section of the home page on this site.

If you find that you do need a new battery, splurge. It will cost a bit more, but get a sealed battery from a battery store. If you don't have a battery store near you, go on-line. I got mine from Batteries Plus. I happen to have a store just a few miles away, but they do ship, if necessary. Yes, it costs a bit more to buy, but it will last so much longer, it will cost you less per year, and you don't ever have to worry about checking the water. \\/

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I found these guys last year and ordered a gel cell for a friend's gs750 and it is still going strong... while my lead acid one is heading south lol... I'll be ordering one for me!

http://www.batterystuff.com/power-sp...X14AHL-BS.html

Comment

Well i took the battery up for a load test and it failed miserably.I did get a new one but it's not sealed.they were on sale for 28 bucks so i couldnt pass it up.Its just like the one I had that i got 2 1/2 years out of.We will see what happens.

Comment

$28 + 2.5 years = :-D
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X