Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Guide broke and new pistons for GS400

Hi!

I'm repairing my '78 GS400 engine and right now I'm doing cylinder head and valves. Accidentaly one of my intake valve guides broke and now I have trouble to get the rest of it off. I took off the valve guide ring as it broke and tried to get the rest of the guide of with a hammer but it doesn't move to any direction. Should I heat it and then try to hammer again? Any good tricks?

And then I should also find a new intake valve guide. Is that a part that I should find at almost any shop?

Another problem is to find new pistons. I have heard that GS750 uses the same pistons as GS400. Is this true? And how about these other cylindeer head and engine parts. Can I use any GS750/550/450/425 parts?

Any good tips and tricks websites for repairing GS400 engine?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2007, 08:09 AM.

Heat it. Aluminum expands more than iron. But consider taking it to a machine
    shop. Pressing in the new guide will be tougher than banging out the old one.
    They sell a tool which fits into the guide for this job. I think I saw it on the
    Z1 enterprises web site.

I would reference the parts fiche on www.bikebandit.com for checking compatibility.
    If the part numbers match you are good.
    Last edited by DimitriT; 05-23-2007, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks DimitriT for the tips! I have to work down that broken valve guide
      maybe tomorrow. I think that I still need to get that cylinder head to professional machine shop because it's in quite bad shape.

Any other tips about that engine would still be extremely valuable! [-o<

Comment

First off, get a shop manual.

Therein you'll find useful tidbits of information including: to remove/replace the valve guides safely, the cylinder head must be heated to a certain temperature, ideally in an oil bath in a machine shop. Since the aluminum expands at a different rate than the valve guide, it'll loosen up a bit and you can press or the guides out.

In other words, don't just try to beat them in or out of there cold. Take it to a machine shop where they have the equipment to heat the cylinder head thoroughly and use a press.

Overall, if there are problems with the head or engine, you might be better off trying to find a lower-mileage engine in better shape, then rebuilding that. If pistons are NLA, you may have to re-use a set.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X