Black Soot on Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Soot on Carbs

Carb question. I have K&Ns on an ’82 GS1100E. Recently, the #1 carb and air cleaner are getting dull black soot built up on the outside. From the pattern, it looks to be coming out of the pod and blowing across the carb. (I think.) Anyone got any suggestions?
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Originally posted by Bert Patterson View Post
    Carb question. I have K&Ns on an ’82 GS1100E. Recently, the #1 carb and air cleaner are getting dull black soot built up on the outside. From the pattern, it looks to be coming out of the pod and blowing across the carb. (I think.) Anyone got any suggestions?
    Are you sure its soot? Sometimes, when you close the throttles, a little gas vapor will back into the airbox (or in your case, pods) and deposit an oily film. This attracts dirt, which looks like soot. You can also get vapor leaking from the throttle shaft seals and the choke plungers. These are other places which get dirty. If the bike is running ok I would just clean them off with a little Simple Green and not worry.

Comment

Where is your crankcase filter located? Over the Carbs?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Where is your crankcase filter located? Over the Carbs?
        Breather?? Underneath the carbs.

I've only had bikes for about 40 years now, so my mechanical aptitude is limited (it'd be nice for me to start doing something about that before I'm dead, eh?).
        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

I wasn't trying to insult your smarts. I hope you didn't take it that way. You do have pod filters, right? I had my crankcase filter around my carbs and ended up with black soot on my pods. I moved it to where the airbox used to be and now I don't have that problem.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I wasn't trying to insult your smarts. .
            Ha!!! Impossible. When it comes to motorcycle mechanics, I've got very little smarts to insult. Really. After all these years, it's pathetic, but true.

I hope you didn't take it that way. You do have pod filters, right? I had my crankcase filter around my carbs and ended up with black soot on my pods. I moved it to where the airbox used to be and now I don't have that problem.

I know what the breather looks like, but I'm not sure what the crankcase filter would look like. I suppose it may be obvious to me when I check it out. I look at it after I vanish from my office.

Comment

If you have pods and removed the airbox there should be a seperate crank case filter. Follow the hose from the very top middle of the valve cover on the carb side and it should connect to a round filter.

Comment

Working...
              X