Crank Shaft Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank Shaft Seal Replacement

My right hand crank seal is leaking and it drains onto my boot at highway speeds through the hole in the ignition cover. I ordered a new seal. From the forum I determined you can fish out the old seal and carefully drive in the new one without splitting the case.

Can anyone provide any useful tips or advice on this install?

Thanks!

Bike is 1980 GS1000G, FYI

Comment

This link might help.
      This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I like to find things in the hardware store PVC pipe etc. to use in driving new seals into place. Light coat of gasket sealer (NOT SILICON) helps it go in & seal

Comment

Destroyed Crank Bearing!!

I tried to use two screws threaded through the old crank seal and destroyed the crank bearing with the screws in the process. I finally got it out by prying at the edges and pulling with vice grips. If i had started with this method the crank bearing would be fine, DOH!

Now i need to pull the engine to replace the bearing. Can someone with some experience let me know what I'm in for in terms of hours rebuilding the engine? Also what should i replace while i am in there? The bike is a 1980 GS1000G with 70K+ on the clock.

Thanks,

Jake

Comment

Working...
          X