more on charging systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more on charging systems

Hello GS World.......I'm a newbie to Suzuki and GS's. I just bought an '80 GS 1000 G and hope I haven't done something foolish after reading all the electrical problems to anticipate. We'll see. Anyways...I have a couple of questions...
    1. Is it still conventional wisdom to replace the stock regulator?
    2. While checking my charging system, the voltage rises with engine RPM to about 13.9 V and then starts to drop off. In the FAQ section it makes reference to this, but also seems to suggest that this might be normal. I think the wording was "let your pocket book be your guide" Does anyone have any more comments on this particular charging issue?

Thanks very much for any comments !! Cheers

having a roller bearing engine far far far out ways the ills of the GS charging system (which can be taking care of with relative ease.. depending on the bike, you may have no problem with the charging at all)

Comment

The first thing to do is clean up all the ground connections (sandpaper and contact cleaner) and then add another ground wire to another point on the motor. I just ran another 12ga. wire to one of the bolts on top of the crankcase and now the bike starts right up with the starter whereas before, I usually had to kickstart it.

I've also replaced my R/R with the SH538 or whatever it is and the battery is now charging great! Some people splice the black wire (powers R/R when ignition is on) with the brake light but I found it easier and cleaner to solder the lead to the turn signal lead in the back of the fuse panel. If you're good with an iron, it's the easiest and cleanest way to go. Good luck.

What's funniest about me posting is that I've owned my 79 GS850 for just over a month and have found so much help here I'm already giving advice! If you do a search in this forum, you ought to be able to find the answer to just about ANY problem you might be having.

Josh

Comment

Take a look at the STator papers... General consensus is if it aint broke don't fix it...!!

Running dedicated ground from battery to RR is a good idea.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by north49 View Post
          While checking my charging system, the voltage rises with engine RPM to about 13.9 V and then starts to drop off.
          The big question is...how far does it drop off?

My wife's 850 will go to 14.1-14.3 at about 2500 rpm, then drop to 13.9 or so by 4000. Think of it this way...it takes more power to create faster sparks, so it is likely to go down some. As long as it does not go below the mid-13s, you should be OK.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ironsheik.....thanks for the tips! But since Suzuki World is all new to me, what is a SH538 ?
            cheers

Comment

Steve....thanks for the info! Ya.....my numbers are about the same as yours, so I suppose thats normal. The MOST important thing, to me, about bikes is reliability!!! So I want to get this whole charging thing dealt with and sorted out.
              cheers

Comment

SH refers to the mfg model # of the regulator. A good ground from the mounting bolt direct to the battery can make a big difference to the life of the regulator

Comment

Working...
                X