Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now a gs 850l gas tank question

will a G tank fit my L?

From what I understand, they won't due to frame design differences.

Comment

Originally posted by natep View Post
      will a G tank fit my L?

NO,been there explored different tank options, Standards and L's have a different frame where the seat sits, the frame where the seat sits on an L is 1 to 3 inches lower than a standard G ,different tank bolt mounting issues( see previous), the front rubber mount pegs on an L are about 3 inches aft of a Standard even though the front standard holes without the pegs can be seen on an L model, seat issues, As I came to the conclusion on my 850L, you are pretty much stuck with that stupid tiny tank,its called the 90 mile club if gas stations are few and far between.110 mile quiet mile club.

Comment

I bought a tank off a GK and thought it would fit. It doesn't but it is really really close. I think i'm going to make and weld a couple of posts to the frame and just go with it. I won't have to cut the old ones off because the new ones would be behind the originals. and if I want to swap it back i'll just cut the ones I made off and put the old tank back on.

Comment

I had to settle for an OEM in the box tank for a 750L to replace the one on my 1100L. The gas valve and it's location were a bit different, but mounted right up. Do wish it was larger though.
          V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrp View Post
            As I came to the conclusion on my 850L, you are pretty much stuck with that stupid tiny tank,its called the 90 mile club if gas stations are few and far between.110 mile quiet mile club.
            Methinks you need to make some adjustments. As I have never met you or seen you ride, I'm not sure if they would be to your bike or to you. My wife and I ride longer distances quite a bit. She will switch her '82 850L to reserve at 140-150 miles and we plan on stopping within the next 20 or so.

I realize that spirited riding will drop those numbers a bit, but even spirited riding on our 650L (with pods, pipe, and smaller tank) will go 110-120 before reserve.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X