oh shift...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh shift...

My friend has a 1983 gs 550 cruiser and is having some shifting issues. Sometimes when you go to shift the bike the shift linkage jams and does not allow you to shift. If you let off pressure and pry up a few times it will finally go. It also does this downshifting aswell. The shift linkage is tight on the shaft and centered. I don't know what would cause this. I am 99% sure this is not his transmission. Plus the bike has only 7k miles on it.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Can you but a vice grip on the motor shifter shaft without buggering up the splines and see if it shifts ok? Does the linkage have back and forth play in it?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The first thing I would do is make sure the clutch and clutch cable are in good shape and adjusted according to spec - if the clutch isn't disengaging cleanly, it will dang sure be hard to shift.

I'm assuming with only 7K miles on it, that the oil isn't all full of gunk, with could also be preventing disengagement.

Comment

"Mark whiz" has you on the right track. Those are traditional clutch sticking problems. Many aftermarket clutches will also do this, but not as bad as your problem. Also when changing oil use 10W-30 or 40. 20w-50 caused me problems in VA and in Wisconsin it would be worse.

Comment

Are these the ones with the shifter attached to a linkage assemble instead of right to the shifter shaft? If so lube the beejeebees out of the ball and socket pivot points with Kroil or WD and work it.

Comment

they are the kind NOT connected right to the shaft, it has alot of linkage.. Also it is 10w-40 oil and it is the shifter that seems to jam

Comment

Working...
            X