Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Needs Help Locating Oil Sending Unit..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Needs Help Locating Oil Sending Unit..

Hi folks. I'm getting closer to taking a 1983 GS750ES home, just one more hurdle to jump.

I live in a remote location in northern Canada (read: not much for bike support) and there is a local do everything type bike shop that also takes in insurance write offs and fixes the couple things wrong with them (usually cosmetic) and puts the bikes up for sale.

He has the '83 with ~18 000km on it and I was smitten, so I took it for a test ride and was even more keen. I have a dual sport and a cruiser and the GS will round out my collection nicely.

The issue:

I took the bike on a 13km (8 mile) test ride and the oil temp guage did not seem to move off the left side (or if it did it was minimal). So I said to the fellow that I'd purchase the bike after he checked out/fixed the problem.

Well with our short season and the good weather upon us he's been busier than a one armed paper hanger so the progress has been slow. I've been waiting 2 weeks now and I'm itchen to ride the bike.

I stopped by today and he was checking the micro fishe parts list/diagrams out and he can't find where the oil temp sending unit is. He has another GS that he could swap out the senders or just grind down the one in there if he could locate the dang thing.

Any suggestions out there....?

Also one person mentioned that maybe I did not give the motor enough time to warm up to move the needle on the test ride. I drove for ~ 8 miles with an air temp of ~50-60F. I tried to go on a longer ride this afternoon to see if that was the problem but he was so busy it did not work out. He did say that most early bikes did not have a temp guage so I dont' know how big a deal this is but I'd like everything working when I pick up the bike.

Anyhoos, I could really use your assistance.

Thanks in advance folks!

I'm thinking it should be #40
    40 34870-31300
    GAUGE, OIL TEMP

41 37820-34200
    SWITCH, OIL PRESSURE

Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

On my "83" 1100, & I know many other GS's, The oil temp & oil pressure switch is on the center of the engine, under the carbs, just under & behind the cam chain tensioner. Both the oil pressure & oil temp wires will be plugged on 2 seperate pins, within 1" of each other. My oil temp guages don't move much at all. I don't think I've ever seen a GS oil temp guage reach 1/4 way up, even on long, hot rides.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

MY 1150 on a 100F day would show 170 deg on the temp guage after about 15 minutes of riding. On a 60 deg day, the temp would just barely register on the guage at about 140 deg. Below 60 degrees, the needle would never move.

E.

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        My oil temp guages don't move much at all. I don't think I've ever seen a GS oil temp guage reach 1/4 way up, even on long, hot rides.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

On a 50 to 60deg day, my 85 GS700 (same basic engine as yours), it will usually take about 10 miles of steady driving to get the temp gauge up to the minimum 160deg mark. Stop and go driving my take even longer.

With air temps in the 30's, I've gone 20 miles or so before the gauge would read the minimum 160deg mark.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2007, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Mine will do about the same thing. Go for it!

Comment

Wow you guys/gals rock!

Thank you very much!

As mine is a CND bike the guage is in celcius so the far left side starts at 70 degrees C which is ~170F. I do think it moved a smiggen during the test ride and based on your folks input it looks like it may be working (ie: does not move much even on hot long rides).

I'll print this out and show it to the fellow and go for a longer ride

All the best eh!

Comment

Working...
              X