Very Thirsty GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Thirsty GS1000?

My dad and I are restoring my '79 gs1000, and we just synched the newly rebuilt carbs. The tank is being prepped for paint, so we made a makeshift one out of an aquafina bottle. In the five minutes it took to synch the carbs, it burned 12 oz. of fuel. This seems a little much for idle (1500 rpms). Is it??? Is there something goofy in the carbs???

Can't really say how many ounces/minute you should get, but your idle is a bit high.

Most people think of fuel useage in terms of miles/gallon, so let us know how that is, once you get it back on the road. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That would be aproximately the correct fuel consumption rate for cruising down the highway at about 60 mph. Its quite high for sitting still at idle rpm.
      Best guess is you have the choke on, or the choke linkage is not allowing the choke to be fully off.

Earl

Originally posted by sdbuchert View Post
      My dad and I are restoring my '79 gs1000, and we just synched the newly rebuilt carbs. The tank is being prepped for paint, so we made a makeshift one out of an aquafina bottle. In the five minutes it took to synch the carbs, it burned 12 oz. of fuel. This seems a little much for idle (1500 rpms). Is it??? Is there something goofy in the carbs???
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

At this stage, I wouldn't be too concerned about fuel consumption. When I placed rebuilt carbs back into service, it takes considerable gas to just fill the bowls. I used a small lawn mower tank when synchronizing and it seemed like a lot of gas was used also. Get it on the road and then worry about consumption.

Comment

Working...
        X