No announcement yet.

DYNA S, easy install turned into WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my guess. You igniter unit is BAD. They are known to fail. OKAY?
    A Dyna S doesn't need the igniter unit to work so what you do is unplug the igniter from the bike and the coils also unplug. Run the black and white to the coils and splice the red power wire into the orange from where you unpluged the coils....................Same thing happened on one of my 550's and basically bypassed the dead igniter box and fired right up. A dead igniter box makes the bike completley dead. Also you can run wires loosely to the respective areas, then test, then do a final hook up.

Comment

i suspected that was the issue from the time i ordered the Dyna S, that is why the old ignitor unit is on my work bench in a million pieces. (i wanted to know what was inside \\/ ). that being said i wanted to be able to easily disconnect the dyna S ...SOOOO (as discussed previously in a different thread) i wired the DYNA S using the wires i snipped off the old ignitor unit there so as to be able to use the factory connection plug (white stripped orange (to red), white (to white), yellow stripped black(to black))...That previously connected the ignitor unit to the motorcycle wires.

the dyna s and the coils work perfectly (when the key is turned ...as they should) no issues with that part..... its the rest of the bike that is deader than a door nail
      Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2007, 02:57 PM.

Comment

OK now here is the issue as of this morning

DYNA S works great perfect..... turn the key manualy crank engine... the plugs fire off properly. wooo hooo great

The starter won't crank when starter button pushed.... (if a take a screw diver and lay across the two terminals on the starter relay starter cranks away happily)

battery has full charge non issue

lights, horn do(es)n't work

BUT neutral light and oil pressure light do turn on when key is turned to the on position (yes mister bronco i reconnected my gauges for arguments sake)

the same gremlins that ruined my motorcycle also stole my multimeter so i wasn't able to do much tracing out on the bike...off to buy a new one after spendin hours lookin for it great!!!

I suspect that there is a ground common to all the fused circuits not connected... i just can't find it ....... i've disconnect every connection traced every wire reconnect every thing to no availe

i even went as far as starting the next step and installing the new stator and reg/rectifer.... put the whole bike back together (in a far fetched vain hope) and tried to start (with my fingers crossed).... nothing ..... then i crossed the terminal on the starter relay with a screw driver and the starter, started turning again and the motorcycle fired up and ran (and i shut off after a few seconds...)... just no lights ...horn...ext... ext...

is the starter relay supposed to have a ground wire coming off of it or does it ground via mounting

does anyone have a factory wire diagram for a 1980 GS550E, my bike is a bizzarro mix of the diagrams, found in the clymer manual, for the 1980 E & L meaning what i know, i can point out on the different diagrams but tracing out what i don't .....is well....frustrating..///
        Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2007, 11:03 AM.

Comment

OK finally got a new volt meter (a nice one too :-D )
          Traced everthing out..... when i hit the starter button... i was only getting 5 volts goin through. checked the lighting via the fuses : clipped red to fuse terminal end holding fuse then with switch on gounded seemed fine 12.2 volts.... but the 5 volt comin through the button back to the starter relay bugged me. so i took a peice of 12 gauge wire and made a connection direct to the battery negative terminal and connected to the mounting bolt for the starter relay, turned the key..lights came on , pushed the start button... and she turned good as new \\/ . for what ever reason the groundin through the frame just wasn't cuttin it anymore...even though it worked for years.. now all i have to do is finish painting and then check the tappets 8-)

problems solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... knock on wood

Comment

Actually come to think of it, that's a common recommendation for these bikes. Bad grounding is a frequent issue. One of the first things I did with my new project was run a supplementary ground wire to the stator mount (which it also where the stator ground wire goes). Congrats!

Comment

while i was at it i replaced the 12 gauge wire grounding the battery to the transmission (and the rest of the bike), with a 4 gauge battery cable i purchased at autozone \\/

you know what they say..... if small is ok, than huge must be GREAT hahah

I'm gettin all my pictures developed today from the dyna s, rectifier, and stator install. should i post (with photo bucket link inlays) the step by step proceedure here in TECH INFO, or in the tips section????
              Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2007, 02:53 PM.

Comment

why not both? i need the info...

Comment

alright, should be up by tomorrow or the latest wed.

Comment

here is the install

having difficulty posting as a thread
                    http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z168/swrupert83/DYNA%20S/

Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2007, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X