Shim source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shim source?

Is there a better place from which to order valves tappet shims than BikeBandit? My local Suzuki dealer isn't all that close, and has only been in business a couple of years anyway (woould they have shims for 25yo bike?)

Will the shims in the bike be mic'd, or should I expect to measure them?

Most are pretty close though I did find some that I had were slightly different than stated.

A digital vernier caliper will tell you. I had a Mitotoyo one for years (walked from an old job) but you can get them cheap from Harbour Freight.

Jeff at z1 Enterprises does a good deal on them. Cheapest place by far (about 5 bucks.) He's in New York but will post priority mail.

The only thing I found is some shims have a square edge rather than a chamfer which can occasionally make it hard to flick them out of the top of the valve.

By the way it's pretty hard to get hold of 2.60 shims right now..... They should be back in stock soon though.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Atonic View Post
      Is there a better place from which to order valves tappet shims than BikeBandit? My local Suzuki dealer isn't all that close, and has only been in business a couple of years anyway (woould they have shims for 25yo bike?)
      They may not have them in stock but can get them in a couple of days. I agree on Z1 being a great source and also great service and delivery.

Comment

CRC2 also stocks GS shims for $5 each.
        CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X