Valve Cover oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover oil leak

Well I finished adjusting valves... not a huge change but power delivery seems better & slightly smoother than before. Any way I'm happy. Got them all 0.06 to 0.08.

I fitted a Real Gaskets silicone gasket to the valve cover & new half moons. Now I have a small oil leak, looks to be coming out of 1 side end cap.

Need to investigate more.

Do Real Gaskets "wear in" (i.e. leak a bit then seal up?) I doubt it.

Did I torque it too tight or loose? I basically got a socket wrench & did them up until the ratchet action started to work (roughly hand tight, it was flat, not pinching) & then turned them about a 1/2 turn more. When I looked some are slightly pinching you can see about 10-20 thou deformation on the gasket.

I pushed the new half moons down with a screw driver when I fitted them.... now I'm thinking maybe I should have fitted the cover & tried to torque it down without a gasket first to make sure they were flat... could that be the problem? The torque I've used isn't enough to level them out?? Can I torque it tight now & then back it off with this gasket?

The Real Gasket has quite an overhang at the end, the chrome caps bend it at the corners... don't see this being an issue though...

Anyone want to give me the benefit of their experience?

It's not a big leak but enough to notice 2nd time out (sitting on the fins).

Thanks,

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

half moons

If you noticed, the new half moons were slightly higher than the rim when you put them in. The reason for that is so that they will be slightly compressed (and seal) when you install the valve cover. My guess is that they weren't sufficiently compressed using the Real Gasket.

The old ones would have been conformed and flat upon inspection....but the new ones are new and stand slightly higher. New half moons work well with a OEM or Vesrah (or any standard) gasket but maybe not so well with the Real Gasket since it calls (demands) less torque down.

I'm sure someone else has been through this since lots of the guys use the Real Gasket....you'll no doubt get some good advice on how to deal with it.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

That's what I feared. I nearly didn't change the moons because the old 'uns looked ok.... Then I figured well I got them so......

Perhaps I should have torqued down the cover by itself first. I think I still have the old moons but not sure if that will help now I pulled them out. They were pretty well lodged in place.

I was pretty careful with surface prep too. Cleaned them both up with solvent etc. Guess that will be contaminated now too. Oh well....

Starting to think I should have just bought a $6 gasket from Z1!!

The new tacho seal stopped that little leak though

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Information that I have says that Realgasket valve cover gasket torque is 15 INCH pounds. Very light.

From your description it sounds like you may have too much torque applied to that gasket.

Comment

Not!

That may be so for Real Gasket but the deal is that those half moons are manufactured to go with the OEM gasket and the foot pounds are 6.5-7.0 ft/lbs....

I thought about ordering one of those..but I didn't. There's an old guy in my town that works on old Jap bikes and he always uses OEM stuff. I'm old...and so did I.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
            Information that I have says that Realgasket valve cover gasket torque is 15 INCH pounds. Very light.

From your description it sounds like you may have too much torque applied to that gasket.
            Not if the deformation of the new half moon wasn't sufficient to seal it...and it sounds like it wasn't! That half-round fills a spot that needs to be sealed and by pressing down on the flat spot, that takes place. The old ones are pretty well set and if you don't mess with them, they won't usually leak. If you change them out and don't compress them, you're asking for trouble.
            Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-25-2007, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I've read that some put the end seals in backwards (lip to inside). So that's what I did after my rebuild. I first used a stock type gasket but have switched to a Realgasket. So far no leaks.

My recomendation would be to pull the cover, clean everything with solvent, reverse the end plugs, torque the cover without the gasket (to seat the plugs), then add the gasket.

One thing to check though, will the cover tighten down without hitting the cam chain on cam blocks if the gasket is left out.
              Buddy
              09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
              83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
              81 GS650G for the wife.
              82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
              I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
              If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
              Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                That may be so for Real Gasket but the deal is that those half moons are manufactured to go with the OEM gasket and the foot pounds are 6.5-7.0 ft/lbs....

I thought about ordering one of those..but I didn't. There's an old guy in my town that works on old Jap bikes and he always uses OEM stuff. I'm old...and so did I.
                I always use OEM as well. I'm old too.

Comment

Don't torque that RealGasket too much! You'll pinch it and cut through. Doesn't take much. Ask me how I know...

Hand tight plus .5 turn is perfect. Actually you'll have to go around several times 'cause with that squishy gasket tightening bolts causes others to really loosen, but you get the idea.

What you want to do instead is use a bit of RTV on the half-moons. Even the anti-RTV nazis here suggest that, I think. ;-) Never had a leak doing it that way.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2007, 02:36 AM.

Comment

I used RTV with old moons and one popped out on the highway. Covered my boot and pants with oil but it got me home. Just push the moons down hard with your thumb. I use silicone gasket on both bikes and it works well.

Comment

well I thought i already did the pushing & if the lip on the moons is meant to be on the outside then they were & are already fitted backwards (its on the inside...)

Damn new technology..... To be honest I would have left both well alone without added info. Left them in & OEM all the way.

I guess I'll have to take the tank off again & go play... what;s RTF?

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

RTF = silicone gasket maker stuff

I used the orange (copper) colored stuff on the half moon seals but left the gasket dry. Just need a thin coat.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                          RTF = silicone gasket maker stuff

I used the orange (copper) colored stuff on the half moon seals but left the gasket dry. Just need a thin coat.
                          It's RTV, actually. Room Temperature Vulcanizing.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yes, what he said, not Rich Text Format, as was apparently floating around my head (I did get it right in my first post at least!). ;-)

Comment

You can always try using a light application of high temperature silicon to the half moons to ensure they seal in properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X