stator/regulator distress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator/regulator distress?

i have an 81 gs450l that just got a recent complete carb rebuild by a journeyman motorcycle mechanic. the bike is running like a clock so far and it's scary how easily/instantly it starts when the battery is charged but lo and behold the battery isn't charging. i put it on a trickle so it can get me to and from work (why i bought it, to laugh as i drive pass the gas stations) but i want to get this straightened out before i start taking longer trips on it with my girl. i printed out the very thorough page on troubleshooting this issue and plan on tackling it soon but i wanted some opinions based on the 12000 or so miles on the bike whether anyone thinks it's the stator or the rectifier. i can do the work but obvously the rectifier swap would be less of a pain than the stator. thanks for any input. electrosport here i come!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2007, 09:48 PM.

How old is the battery ? I would begin by checking all of the stator connections & stator grounding. Then go to the stator papers

Comment

It is hard to guess intelligently without doing any tests. As Lynn said, make sure you have clean, tight connections, then start with the volt meter. The Stator Papers IV give a good troubleshooting tree to follow. It assumes that you are starting with a fully-charged battery and clean connections, then walks you through to find the problem.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well don't take too much advice from me till i figure out what i did wrong on my bike (electrics (horn, lights, starter button) are out right now , but stator replacement is fairly easy, just do yourself a favor (if it comes to replacement) just order the bolts and gasket for the stator case from suzuki (or where-ever just make sure they are the right one) before hand ....also drain the oil

i think all together (plus oil filter gasket and a gasket for the timing advance/sending unit cover) it cost me 17 bucks.

i ended up having to drill the heads off 4 bolts... (get a good drill bit))
        when the cover comes off there is about a inch of bolt stickin out and by then could practically take them out by hand

stator replacement isn't rocket science, just a few screws and four wire connections. costs about $120 for a new one

(on a side note i believe i messed up somewhere in the reg/rectifier replacement)
        Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2007, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X