Sheared bolt. What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheared bolt. What to do?

If you have any advice on removing sheared bolts in tight spaces, please let me know. [-o<

Also, where can you get replacement bolts locally?

Thanks all!

PS: For details, see my project thread here and my post from today and feel to reply either here or in my project thread.

The absolute easiest way is to weld something onto the old bolt with a MIG welder. The MIG won't generate enough heat to do any damage to anything else but will generate enough heat to loosen the said bolt.

I have a couple of old screwdrivers that I use for this purpose. I tack the screwdriver to the broken bolt, wait ten minutes for the bolt to cool (and shrink) and then undo it by clamping vice grips onto the screwdriver. Works every single time without fail. 15 years in the motor trade and there's never been a bolt I couldn't get out. Some of them can be stubborn little buggers though.

Of course, if you haven't got a MIG welder then you're life is screwed and you may as well give the bike to me and jump off a bridge.

j/k (about the bridge part)
    Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2007, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
      The absolute easiest way is to weld something onto the old bolt with a MIG welder. The MIG won't generate enough heat to do any damage to anything else but will generate enough heat to loosen the said bolt.

I have a couple of old screwdrivers that I use for this purpose. I tack the screwdriver to the broken bolt, wait ten minutes for the bolt to cool (and shrink) and then undo it by clamping vice grips onto the screwdriver. Works every single time without fail. 15 years in the motor trade and there's never been a bolt I couldn't get out. Some of them can be stubborn little buggers though.

Of course, if you haven't got a MIG welder then you're life is screwed and you may as well give the bike to me and jump off a bridge.

j/k (about the bridge part)
      You're very lucky. If I'd have read your post thirty minutes ago, I'd probably be in mid-air and accelerating at 9.8 meter/second*second!

Fortunately, I managed to get the little bugger out by adding a pair of 6" bent nose pliers to my tool collection. With them I was able to get a good angle on the bolt and create enough pressure and cross-bite to break the remainder of the bolt loose and get it out clean. My day is SOOOOOO much better now! \\/

Ironically, the first thing that I thought of was exactly what you suggested, but there were two problems: 1) I don't own a welder and 2) I have never welded and have no idea how to weld. I also considered using a Dremel tool to put a screwdriver slot in the remnant. With both welding and Dremel-ing, I was also concerned that the risk of igniting some remnant of fuel/oil might be a real concern. I've cleaned up the bike pretty well and the gas tank and carbs have been off for several weeks, but still...I have this "reflex" against adding spark or fire to anything besides the plugs. Is that a valid concern?

Thanks for the suggestion!

PS: j/k about the mid-air, etc. :-D
      Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2007, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Where to find replacement bolts?

The question remains. Anyone have any suggestions on the types of places that I might find them locally?

Comment

ace hardware stores.... any hardware store really, autozone or napa or orielly's has some bolts too, maybe the one you need!

Comment

Replacment bolts in hand!

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
            ace hardware stores.... any hardware store really, autozone or napa or orielly's has some bolts too, maybe the one you need!
            Thanks very much. Found my local Ace Hardware store, got there just in time (last one in the door before they locked up today) and walked out 5 minutes later with two tested and confirmed replacement bolts (10mm hex, m-6 thread pitch)! No time to work on the bike today, but I did take a moment to start both new bolts and they're a perfect fit! \\/

Your tip to Ace was spot on. Thanks!=D>

Comment

Millions of people weld cars and motorcycles every day and very few cause fires or explosions. The trick is to just keep the two (fuel and ignition source) seperate.

Either remove the fuel or cover it with something that doesn't burn. Wet rags, old towels, blankets etc are a favourite of most people that weld motor vehicles.

If you are really concerned you just get someone to act as 'fireman' for you whilst you are welding. It is usually the apprentices job (in a workshop) to stand ready with the fire extinguisher.

Comment

Working...
              X