I give up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give up!

My saga here with my 80 gs 1000 is now coming to a close.I give up.I had the timing right,i just went out and redid the cam chain tensioner,i relubed all the cam jounals,retorqued the cam bolts and when i loosened the caps of course the motor jumped out of time.I give up.I am postin it for sale.I am not spending any more time or money,i am about to push it beside my house with a tarp on it.Someon please buy it from me.I have 2400 in it now.I will take 550 or best offer.9490686-5736.home email crusierlover02@aol.com
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Ron,Dont give up now!!! Your so close.Take a week off and dont even look at it.Gather your thoughts and go at it with a different frame of mind.Dont sell it cause you will regret it in the future.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2007, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Please don't sell your bike out of disgust or frustration. It may seem like the biggest pain in the rearend right now, but when you do get it going, every ride will be that much sweeter. I've almost washed my hands of my bike a couple of times, but I sat back and thought how much I'd miss it. Despite all the time, money, parts, and disappointments, it's MY bike I feel like I've built it and would really miss it if it were gone.

Take a break from it, let the smoke clear and get back to it when you're ready!

Good luck,
      Jay

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
        My saga here with my 80 gs 1000 is now coming to a close.I give up.I had the timing right,i just went out and redid the cam chain tensioner,i relubed all the cam jounals,retorqued the cam bolts and when i loosened the caps of course the motor jumped out of time.I give up.I am postin it for sale.I am not spending any more time or money,i am about to push it beside my house with a tarp on it.Someon please buy it from me.I have 2400 in it now.I will take 550 or best offer.9490686-5736.home email crusierlover02@aol.com
        Ron, don't sell it. Take a break and freshen your mind of all the clutter.
        It will be sweeter when you finally complete the re-build and you're riding it again.
        It's easy to get the cams re-timed, just take a break and the world will be good again.
        Hang in their Ron.
        Ian
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Now that you've taken it apart so many times you will find that timing the beast is fairly easy. You might want to try the "vise grips on the camshaft trick" to hold the cam down while bolting down the caps. If at first you don't succeed...
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Is there anybody on here who lives close enough to help this guy out????No one wants to see him part with his bike and it's obvious he is frustrated.I have also felt this way a month ago but it would be like losing an old friend in anger.Hang in there Ron!

Comment

Where does he live?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                Is there anybody on here who lives close enough to help this guy out??

I was wondering the same thing. The area code seems to be Orange County -- Laguna Beach or Irvine or the like. I'm basing that on 949 as the area code.
                Last edited by robertbarr; 05-27-2007, 08:07 PM.
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Well I'm too far away to help (5 hrs by air) but I will say don't give up Ron, we're all rooting for you. It may seem like a never ending battle that your not winning but once you get it running all the sweat and tears you put in to it will make you just that much more excited to see it running.

Comment

No satisfaction in giving up. Let it rest a while. Get it going & have tons of satisfaction.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks guys,but let me respond.The timing is easy to get back in correct position,believe me i could do that in my sleep almost now.That is not the problem.The problem is i put the whold thing back together correctly,I know i did.There arent any ways to put it back together if you follow directions.Cam caps abcd,match them to abcd on the motor.Timing marks,crank trigger,cam tensioner set right,there is no reason the motor shouldnt turn over freely,even real fast, but it doesnt.If i turn it over by wrench it turns over with a considerable resistance but i figured that was because the cam journal go up and down and each time they compress a tappet I should expect resistance.My area code is 940,not 949.I live in Texas,about 60 miles from dallas,250 miles from austin,175 miles to oklahoma city,about 400 to kansas,350 from shreveport,4000 from sidney austrailia.I had a yamaha venture i had 4400 dollars in one time that i couldnt ever get to run right, i even had a mechanic say"I dont know what it is".I gave that bike to a guy just so I wouldn feel the pain any more.Biking is in my blood.It is very important to me.Even if I dont ride and my bike just sits in the driveway there is some sense of satisfaction just knowing it is sitting there.Stupid maybe,but thats me.But I feel the Gs guys like you all are practically family now.I have really sensed some feelings of friendship with this site.You know the GS 1000 is better than a kz 900, cb 750, and most modern day cruisers.Oh well.
                      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I'm 1,216 miles away from ron so you can count me out.

Comment

Where does Hap live? Maybe he could help. Sometimes just another set of eyes makes a big difference.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

dont give up man. i bought my 750 for 250 and i have put about 200 in it in the last month and a half and i am a long way from even hearing it run for the first time. i need a new ignition, tires, tubes, and exhaust. shes just been sitting there since i bought it, waiting for me to get her back together and fired up. i cant wait

it will come. it just takes a lot of time and patience, and hard work.

Comment

Hey Ron - don't give up just yet man.
                              I've got an 84 GS 750 that I picked up for not too much many months ago and i'm slowly (and I mean slowly) working my way through everything) - now working on the charging system (surprise surprise) and this list (specifically Hap Cal) have been a tremendous help in walking my way through this. I'm far from being done yet but I'll get it done.
                              I'm also helping my son work on his car as well. When I'm done the bike and my son's car there is a deck hanging from the rear of my house that needs total redoing, and then ....................arrrgghh, think I'll stop there while I think I'm still ahead.
                              Frustration is always there to stop you dead in your tracks. Know how to take a step back and let it be for a bit. Leave it alone, go away. Go do something totally different and don't come back to the problem till you're good and ready. You'll know when you are.
                              If it works for a putz like me it'll work for you.
                              Walk away for a while and come back to it primed and ready. It will work.

Comment

Working...
                              X