Jet needle height.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet needle height.

Could somebody please explain the procedure for checking the needle jet height on CV carbs please. GS850.

I would like to put mine back to stock, on a used set of carbs, but I don't know what the stock setting is (Iwill look it up in the manual) I don't know where to "read" the setting from and last of all I don't know how to adjust them.

I am running standard jets and air box.

Thanks,
    Chris

What year is your 850? Do you actually have multiple grooves on the needle? Due to EPA regulations, the adjustability was removed in 1980, which is the same year that CV carbs showed up on GSs. I am not sure about the '80s, but the '81 450 and the two '82s I have worked on, 650 and 850, did not have adjustable needles.

If you do, indeed, have adjustable needles, they are numbered from the top (large end) of the needle. Stock position is #3.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      What year is your 850? Do you actually have multiple grooves on the needle? Due to EPA regulations, the adjustability was removed in 1980, which is the same year that CV carbs showed up on GSs. I am not sure about the '80s, but the '81 450 and the two '82s I have worked on, 650 and 850, did not have adjustable needles.

If you do, indeed, have adjustable needles, they are numbered from the top (large end) of the needle. Stock position is #3.

Thanks for the reply.

The set of carbs I have were bought used on ebay. I have no idea what year of bike that they came from.

Is it easy to identify if the needles are adjustable or do they have to be removed from thier housing first?

Comment

What year is your bike? Yes you have to remove the jet needle from the slide to see if it's adjustable.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X