81 GS1100E 74.5mm Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS1100E 74.5mm Pistons

Okay guys and gals, I need your help! Please!!! I took my cylinders to a local shop to get honed and checked. Honing was fine and they told me that they are standard bore. Order new piston pins and rings and they dont fit. I measured the pistons and I'm looking at 74.5 mm. I have no idea what brand these are there are no markings except the C on top. Can someone give me a little insight? The old piston pins are 63mm long. Thanks Greg
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

The pistons in the photo look like Wiseco. Don't remember them making 74.5mm. Sounds like you are measuring above the rings. Measure at the bottom of the skirt, 90 degrees to the pin. Should be 75mm there. This would be an 1168 kit. If so, Correct rings would be 2953XC. We carry them.

Jay
    Speed Merchant
    http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

My wiseco pistons are 75mm and have the code number stamped in the top of the crown.

Not seen pistons with a 'C' and what apears to be a '1' on the top before. Suzuki pistons I've seen have an 'arrow' shape to show which way is front of the piston for the valve recess.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Sorry guys I did measure from the top. Bottom measures 75mm. There are no numbers anywhere on these.

Comment

Hey Big Jay, thanks for the info. The pins measure 2.472in. Do you carry those also? My email is ghainjr1@yahoo.com if you can shoot me some prices. I'm also going to need base and head gasket if you carry them. Thanks, Greg

Comment

Ape does. That where I got mine.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks chef, and its starting to look like this thing might run again.

Comment

Call Ape at 661-256-7309. They are great to deal with and have great customer service. Plus they know what they are talking about. I'm lucky cause I can drive there.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Pin is #S555, $13.60 ea. Head gasket #S8031.

Jay
                  Speed Merchant

Comment

Originally posted by ghainjr1 View Post
                    Okay guys and gals, I need your help! Please!!! I took my cylinders to a local shop to get honed and checked. Honing was fine and they told me that they are standard bore. Order new piston pins and rings and they dont fit. I measured the pistons and I'm looking at 74.5 mm. I have no idea what brand these are there are no markings except the C on top. Can someone give me a little insight? The old piston pins are 63mm long. Thanks Greg
                    http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/ghainjr1
                    It might be how I'm reading your post but did you get new pistons, pins and rings or new piston pins and rings (as you wrote)? If so, what doesn't fit?
                    Honing standard bores increases standard clearance so the old pistons or new standard pistons should slide right in. New rings may have to be filed for clearance (you probably know this or have checked). At any rate you ought to verify the bore, bore runout (hopefully round) and taper and fit your pistons according to their individual measurements (typical engine assembly).

Comment

Got in touch with MTC and Wiseco and both say that these are not their pistons. Dont know what to do next, but it looks to be expensive! Thanks for eveyones input and help, Greg

Comment

The piston in the photos is a Wiseco. I have sold thousands of them. Did whoever youn talked to at Wiseco, see the photos?

Anyway, the C on top means it takes a C ring in 75mm. Don't see what the problem is. Just get the rings and put it back together.

Jay
                        Speed Merchant

Comment

There you go. Get the rings, pins and circlips from Ape and get on the road!

Comment

Update!!!

Your very right, Jay! They are Wiseco and yes,the guy at Wiseco saw the pics and said they weren't theres. I found out today that they are Wiseco and can get what I need. The #4 cylinder is kinda iffy though. Theres a groove that you can catch with your nail. Its been honed and borings not an option. They said it could possibly smoke and not seat properly or could catch and break a ring and we know what that means. Not really sure what to do, but I think I'm going to chance it. Maybe put it all back together and turn it over a thousand times before I actually start it. Dont know!

Comment

I see cylinders all the time on Ebay that you pay more for shipping than the winning bid. Instead of "risking" alot of hard work get one and machine it. I got mine machined for $30 a sleeve. I just think $200 dollars will save you alot of agony. There is a chance it won't be right and you'll be kicking yourself. IMHO

Comment

Working...
                              X