Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650g Compatability

Hey Gang,

Was wondering what years and models are compatable with my '81 GS650G? Or am I totally off the mark and only same model/year works with these bikes?

For what parts?

The GS650G is an odd ball. Shares a lot of electrical, brake, body parts with other GSes. But its engine and transmission are unique designs. Even with that, some internals are probably shared.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

And you even have to be careful within the same year. :shock:

The 650 (chain drive) and the 650G (shaft drive) have different bottom ends.
      The chain drive model uses roller bearings and low oil pressure, the shaft drive has plain bearings and high oil pressure.

Other than the obvious differences in output shafts on the transmissions,
      I don't know what other parts are different in the engines.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Mainly just cosmetic stuff. Tho it would be nice to know just in general. Like the older cars that some years you couldi nterchange.

Comment

I'm sure that some mechanics with lots of GS experience could tell you right off. For the rest of us, it's necessary to use the fiches that are available on-line at Alpha Sports and at Bike Bandit. Look up the part number for a given part on the GS650G and then find the part number for the donor bike, and see if they match.

Someplace I came across an Ebay store that sells both fiches for motorcycles, and a computerized parts cross-reference. I think that the cross-reference was about $20. I don't remember where the store is.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
          X