Removing and refitting carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing and refitting carbs.

So I got the carbs off relatively easily and manged to clean out all the crud ( and there was quite a bit of that). Trying to get them back in was quite another story.

As I work from home, I can slide out to the garage whenever the urge comes. I finished up cleaning the carbs this morning and decided tro pop them back on after lunch.

Ten minute job I say to myself. What a joke! I have pulled and replaced carbs on twins many times. With my Virago, I got to the point where I could whip them off, clean them, adjust float height and get them back on in 15 minutes no sweat. Quad carbs.....now thats something new and challenging.

With the damn airbox in the way there is little room to manoeuver and no way to push the throats into the manifolds.

The manifolds are soft enough and I lubed them well but I wrestled with those puppies for a good hour and a half. I found that if you got one side in the other would pop free. I finally got the idea of using a speed clamp ( c clamp with ratchetting handgrip used mostly in wood working) on one side ( from the head to the carb body) to hold the end carb into the manifold while I used anothe r clamp on the other side and squeezed it to push the other end in. That got it finally but I had worked up a big sweat getting it.

For next time, is there an easier way?

I was also thinking of chucking that airbox and going to pods. What is the common knowledge on this mod? Good or bad? We do it on the XSs and usually have to fatten up the primary and main jets as they tend to lean things out quite a bit. I'm thinking it would be the same with the GS.

As always, I look forward to all thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers,
    Spyug.

if yours is like my GS450E, it is just as much of a PITA. i had to remove the tank, battery, etc as well... and then unbolt the airbox to slide everything apart. i used new boots and it was a TIGHT fit on both ends! took a LOT longer than it should have, i agree.

i haven't found an easier way. it is as if the pipe clamps are hardly necessary, i think. but at least you know they are on there good!

i have read on the forum that you'll need to jet the carbs to accommodate the new pods. and while you are at it you might as well lose the exhaust for an upgrade. it seems to be common knowledge that the pressure balance between the intake/airbox and the exhaust downpipes will be interrupted if you fiddle with either side.

Comment

BTW, i really wish i had your bike somedays. that extra 300cc would be nice, but it is the BRAKES that i covet!
      i love the 'E's' of this vintage...

Comment

Well I made it to the "next time" already. Tried to start the bike. Runs on choke but dies off. Starts everytime on choke but won't run without choke even when warm. Even added a bit of Sea Foam to the gas to see if it would help....not much. What a PITA.

Pulled the carbs and got them on the bench. Everything clean inside but cleaned again anyway. Blew out every hole I could find no crap came out that I could see. I'm a bit lost now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Spyug.

Comment

You need to unrack those carbs and dip them in Berrymans.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

trace the circuits with wd/40, brake clean, ect. Enrichener circuit, idle circuit, main circuit. be thorough and dont mix jets and needles from their original carb.

Comment

Is your gas valve working properly?
              V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                Well I made it to the "next time" already. Tried to start the bike. Runs on choke but dies off. Starts everytime on choke but won't run without choke even when warm. Even added a bit of Sea Foam to the gas to see if it would help....not much. What a PITA.

Pulled the carbs and got them on the bench. Everything clean inside but cleaned again anyway. Blew out every hole I could find no crap came out that I could see. I'm a bit lost now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Spyug.
                FYI: I've just yesterday re-installed my carbs after a complete tear down and rebuild with tedious carb spray cleaning throughout. My bike was experiencing very similar issues and they were completely resolved by the through cleaning. In particular, I was able to see one pilot jet partially clogged and there was varnish buildup throughout the carbs. Bottom line: Just be certain to clean everything you can find and soak the all the metal bits that you can (I didn't do "the dip" but I did soak all my jets and air jets for at least 24 hours).

Best of luck!
                Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2007, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Well I'm getting good at pulling and replacing carbs so I guess the old saying about practice makes perfect is correct:-D

I'll be getting more practice tomorrow as I need to pull them off yet again

Got them all cleaned up and on the bike after supper a bit of tweaking and I got her to run again and even idle without choke\\/ One odd thing I noticed and I've never seen or heard of this before but it would only run properly when the airbox was popped on and the clamps tightened. Very odd. I have never experienced that on any of the Yammies I've owned.

As I say, she runs but after shutting down I had a bit of gas running out of the airbox so I'm thinking float height needs resetting or a need valve is wonky. No biggy. Been there before, the important thing is she runs.

Now on to brakes ( screws on the master cylinder cover are rusty...fluid is 7 years old and front calipers probably need a rebuild), chain ( its kinked and rusty) and front tire (its a bit on the bald side).

Never a dull moment in this hobby eh!

Cheers,
                  Spyug

Comment

Working...
                  X