Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet straps

Hi all,
    How long are helmet straps supposed to last?

Last September I retired a 15 year old helmet with a good strap and bought a new Bell. This helmet has the Snell 2000 rating but the strap is already fraying where it loops through the buckle. Has anybody else had this problem with different brands? I am going to return this one (supposed to last 5 years...fat chance of that) to buy something better.

Here's a pic I've got of the helmet in case somebody knows something about them. I don't recommend this helmet because of the strap and having to remove the side panels to pull the face shield when it is time to clean it.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Hi Steve , a m/cycle helmet has a use by date of 3-5 years.
    So this one is definately ready to become a beer cooler!!

Three years will do for constant riders. Five years will do for weekend riders.
    The reason it only lasts that long is that the foam compresses, losing its
    elasticity, the shell gets U.V. damage and the general state of the hemet becomes dangerous to say the least!
    I hope this helps!!
    I had a helmet that I used for 10 years before I was given this info!!

Cheers Katana

Comment

If I read this correctly, the helmet pictured is not even a year old. I'd return it for a replacement. Most shops will oblige this request as they value your business.

Comment

OOPS I just re-read the article , thanks for picking me up on that Swanny .
        I'd definately take it back!! the helmet should last for the helmets life easily!!
        Funny how my Dads best advice was always "read the question"

cheers Katana

Comment

Well I went into the bike store today and they weren't too helpful. They said they would send it back to Bell for a checkup but I would probably have to buy another one at cost!

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to get this thing replaced?

The manager agreed with me that the helmet is no longer safe and was really surprised to see the problem. On the other hand, he did say "What do you want me to do? Throw it out and give you a new one?"

Steve

Comment

I have an old arai that is 25 years old and has the same straps

Comment

Originally posted by srivett

The manager agreed with me that the helmet is no longer safe and was really surprised to see the problem. On the other hand, he did say "What do you want me to do? Throw it out and give you a new one?"

Steve
              Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                Originally posted by srivett

Steve
                Yes!
                I gotta agree with Hap ,Yes you do wish it to be replaced, after all it is your head and/ or life on the line. Be adamant withthe Jerk at the shop that this is not on and you do wish it replaced and now.
                Dink

Comment

I have a Bell helmet that is over 5 years old and the straps are in perfect condition, I would try another bike shop to find out how to contact the company direct and complain to them, also let them know the attitude that you got from the shop where you purchased the helmet.

Comment

Working...
                  X