Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front suspension leaking air

Hi

I have an 1982 GS650GT and have noticed some oil leaking from the top of the right hand front suspension fork. I have prised the rubber cap off the top near the handlebars and found what looks like a brass bicycle air valve. The area surrounding it was full of oil. I've cleaned it up, and noticed when I press down on the front of the bike, I can hear air escaping from the valve, though havent noticed any more oil.

What is this part called? I have tried to tighten it but the whole thing turns with the circular (seal??) beneath. Is it just a case of taking of off, refilling with oil and replacing the valve, or does air have to be added? And if so, how much?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

The air system was added to the forks to make up for mushy springs. The solution is to remove the stock springs, add Progressive Suspension springs ($60) and ignore the air system (no air).

What it sounds like is you may have an o-ring leaking some of the fork fluid. You'll need to drop the handlebars, remove the top portion of the fork tube (carefully, it's under spring tension) and inspect the o-ring on the adjuster. You'll then pull the springs, flush the old fluid, add new fluid, and new Progressive springs.

Once reinstalled, you won't need the air pressure to firm up the front end.

~Adam

Comment

Cheers for the reply, I have found some forks on the net so will fit them soon, much appreciated.

Comment

How do I get the air valve;s out of the top of the forks? I read in a manual that I am supposed to push them down (very hard) and remove a spring or something, but cant see anything to remove.... any ideas?

Comment

Working...
        X