82 GS850L Oil Leak from Tac Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850L Oil Leak from Tac Cable

Ok, now that my petcock is fixed \\/, I'm moving on to the next issue (as there are many little annoying issues to take care of on my bike). This one has me a little baffled as I am new to the bike repair scene.
    As the title says, there is oil leaking from the connection point where the Tachometer cable connects to the engine. The first thing I thought was it is loose, but that is not the case as I grabbed it with some pliers to check it. However, there is a little slop between the cable and the connecting insert.
    Is this something I should replace, or is there something I can do to stop the leak (new o-ring)? I have yet to pull it off to look at it as I haven’t had the time, and I returned the repair manual I was using to the library. I’ll see what you guys have to say then I’ll probably pull it off to take a look. Any past experience with a similar problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Common problem!

Go to Bikebandit.com, find the microfiche for the tach gear, and order the o-ring and oil seal. The oil seal seals between the gear and the o-ring seals the holder to the valve cover. Cheap parts and easy install, too.

Comment

I thought there was probably some sort of o-ring seal that needed to be replaced. Thanks, I'll be odering new seals tomorrow.

Comment

Can it be done without removing the cam cover?

Comment

Do you have a repair manual??? They tell most everything.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The complete answer in pictures and easy-to-follow instructions. Part numbers, even:

Also:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by kurifu View Post
              Can it be done without removing the cam cover?
              Yep. Just remove the retaining clip thingy and pop out the whole assembly.

Comment

Pay attention to the seal- don't put it in backwards

Comment

Just a "Me too!"

I've ordered my parts from Bike Bandit. I'll be fixing my tach cable leak soon. My thanks to Mr. bwringer for putting up a page with excellent detailed instructions and awesome pictures. I've looked at it so often, I've just about got it memorized. :shock:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wow you guys kick ass. Cant beleve all the info on this forum.:-D

Comment

Bwringer... you are the man! Came on looking for help on my issue good ol search brought this thread up..and your website tutorials sheesh! Now if only you lived closer to washington state :-D Thanks!

Comment

FYI, those were the same PNs for my 79 GS1000. now, if i could just get the retaining screw out, i'd be in the mix (damn stripped screws!)

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X