carbs not tuned right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbs not tuned right?

ok to start off i bought a gs550L and it ran very good when i bought it. two weeks in my buddy twisted the throttle the wrong way and snapped the cable, so i took it off and decided to clean my carbs. ended up getting frustrated and took it to shop. they reset everything and got it running but since i got it back from the shop it keeps on fouling plugs and is very hard to start. could this be that they didn't tune the carbs or the throttle cable right or am i looking at something entirely new?

A cable is not going to be the source of your problem.

It is possible that the mechanic that worked on them was trying to help you by richening the carbs a bit and went too far.

Another possibility is that the choke is not releasing fully.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok my bike still is not running right i have not been able to do anything to it. can somebody tell me where the adjustment screws are and how to readjust them to make the bike run leaner, plus how do i do a compression check? also this bike is a 1980 gs550L

Comment

compression check

For the compression check go buy a compression tester tool from a local auto shop like NAPA - they range from $100 down to $25 depending where you get it - bring in one spark plug to make sure the plug adapter on the tool matches the threads on the plug (I would think 14 mm)

Test is quite easy to do but make sure to follow these tips during the test:

- Remove all spark plugs (allows engine to turn easier)
        - Ensure battery is fully charged (atleast 12.2 V across terminals if in doubt remove and trickle charge overnight)
        - Hold throttle fully open during tests (allowing as much air as possible into the engine)

If you don't follow the above tips your compression values will be lower than actual.

Not everyone does this, but I disconnect the leads to the coils, or alternatively the leads to the ignition unit during this test; Why? your coils produce a high-voltage output and with plugs removed and plug caps empty there is nowhere for the voltage generated to go, which could in theory be damaging.

Comment

what kind of #s do i want for this bike 1980 gs550L

Comment

Originally posted by justmount1 View Post
            what kind of #s do i want for this bike 1980 gs550L
            120 - 140+ PSI would be nice to see. The closer the #'s are together, the better.

Comment

well i decided to take it back to the shop and they better get it done soon. i should be riding when it is so beautiful out but since they messed the bike up i can't even do that. they better hurry up.

Comment

Don't hold your breath...

Comment

yeah i know i just wish i would have the time to do it myself but with me working and wife working and 3 yr old never get time. she works opposite shift as me so .

Comment

it sounds like they did a 'little extra' for you and that's too bad...

i too disconnect the leads to the coils, as the grizzled-but-wise old auto mechanic i learned under with would bark at me incessantly if i didn't. i figured everyone did it!

the feeling of missing out (and driving a cursed vw) while i see motorcyclists rushing past on a hot day is almost sickening... i feel your pain. chances are the bike shop has a heavy work load this time of year, unfortunately...

Comment

yeah but since they are the ones that messed it up i feel that it should be top priority to get it fixed right since i have already paid them to get it done right, the first time

Comment

Hopefully the shop gets things sorted out, but look on the bright side...

you found a shop that will work on your 27-year-old bike. \\/

More and more shops are declining to work on bikes over 10 years old. Seems too many of the bikes will break bolts or whatever, and it takes too long to fix the situation.
                        Unfortunately for them, those situations are not covered in the flat-rate manual and they lose money big time.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yeah i hear you on that. i am glad they will work on it or it would have been in the garage still. i need to call them today to check up!

Comment

Working...
                          X