Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me Please!

Hey folks,

Boy, I've really gotten myself into trouble this time. I was removing the wrist pins from the pistons from my 850 tonight, so I could measure the pistons and rings. As I was removing one of the wrist pin clips, I accidently dropped it. Problem is, I am not sure where it went. I have searched the floor and the tray under the bike. I have also looked in the bike. I can see the crank really well, and do not see it.

I plan on cleaning my basement floor up and looking one more time. My real question is, other than splitting the cases, is there any other way to search in the engine? I was going to pick up a retrieval magnet at the auto store tomorrow and try it in the area under the crank. What about removing the oil pan? Will it gain me any better access to the area under the crankshaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

Removing the oil pan my help you.

You probably realize it NOW, but any time that you have the cylinders off, you should stuff some CLEAN shop cloths around the opening(s) into the cases, to prevent anything from falling inside.

Good luck!

Comment

Yep, I should have stuffed rags in the openings.

Actually, I am not convinced that it fell in the engine. I hadn't removed any of the pistons yet. Pistons 2 and 3 were down, 1 and 4 were up. I was removing the inside wrist pin clip from the no. 1 piston. At this point there wasn't much open area into the block exposed, unless it fell back under the no. 1 piston. If so, I should be able to see it. I can see the bottom of the engine under the no. 1 piston.

I will look again tonight. If it fell on the floor, it could have bounced a mile away. I will check the bike thoroughly again tonight. I am going to try a magnet and will probably pull the oil pan.

Comment

Get one of those tools that they sell for adjusting automobile carbs. They have a screwdriver handle and a flexible spring shaft that bends. They also have a magnetic end to hold the different bits. You may be able to fish it out with that if it fell into the crankcase.

Comment

Thanks Billy, I will pick on up tonight. I didn't realize those had flexible shafts. That would be even better than the regular magnetic retreiver.

Comment

I don't know if it would help or not,but I made 2 tools years ago that have helped me in similar situations. I mounted (with silicone) a 1'' round mirror
            to the end of a 2' piece of #14 soft copper wire. With the help of a flashlight shined at an angle into the mirror,it has helped me to find things I could'nt see otherwise. It 's bendable and will get in anywhere the mirror will fit. If you can see it,then you can pick it up with a magnet mounted on another wire,as long as you have help. KK.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The wayward clip has been found. While I was working in the basement tonight, I thought I would use the flexible magnet I had bought and go fishing in the crankcase. Well, sure enough, the second try under rod No. 2, the clip came out on the magnet. My problem has been solved.

Billy, I did go and get a carb adjusting tool, but it did not have a strong enough attraction force. I then went to Sears, and bought a Craftsman flexible magnetic retrieval tool. It is pretty nice. The magnet is shielded until you push the plunger and make it go out of the shield.

Comment

Nice going Brandon.

Comment

Whew! Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt! :roll:

Comment

Working...
                  X