Clifford 1, oil leak 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clifford 1, oil leak 0

Finally defeated the oil leak on my engine. I removed the cam cover and put a very light application of high temp silicone around the gasket (new gasket) and resealed it, let it sit over night and not even a drop is coming out now, not even out of those half moon things.

Now that you know how to remove the cover, you might want to do it again to remove the silicone and put in a new gasket.

Silicone does not mix well with gas or oil. When it breaks down, it will flake off, drain into the sump, then get pumped into the smallest oil passage it can find, doing who knows what to the rest of the engine.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I must be missing something. I have never heard of oil nor gas causing silicone to brake down, For the past 30 yrs., silicone has been by far the most popular gasket sealer on the shelf. With the exception of head & exaust gaskets, safe to use on all engine gaskets. What gives???
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hylomar is WAY better than silicone, and doesn't start to weep after time like silicone will. Also, it won't break off and get into your oil pasages.
        \\

Next time buy some hylomar, since you will need to check the valves before the end of the season, you can clean it up then.

Comment

some people hate the use of anything not specifically recommended for your gs by suzuki....

i on the other hand say squirt that silicone away! i love the stuff cause it works and is safe as far as i am concerned.

ill be putting some on mine if it doesnt seal right.

Comment

these engines are OLD. they wont seal up with a new gasket like they did back in the 70's and 80's. its the truth.

Comment

Silicone is not broken down by oil. It is broken down by gas, though. Can't use it on carbs or intakes, but valve covers are fine. Just go easy on it so it doesn't squish out the other side and you won't have any trouble.

Comment

A light, almost transparent coat is all you need to solve most dinged-up surface sealing problems and shouldn't cause any problems.

On a valve cover, it does make cleanup much more difficult when the time comes for the next valve check -- you'll have all kinds of little strings and dabs of the stuff to remove without letting them fall into the engine. If you apply it to the gasket only and then let it skin over before installing, this is less of a problem.

The trouble with silicone sealer comes when people lay down a nice squishy quarter inch bead of the stuff in the mistaken belief that more is always better. This might help when you're trying to seal your leaky Chevy valve covers, but in a motorcycle engine the globs that squeeze out will clog small oil passages.

Hylomar is a much better way to deal with sealing imperfect surfaces. It can be a little hard to find -- at least one of the big auto chains doesn't carry it -- but it's great stuff.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                  Silicone is not broken down by oil. It is broken down by gas, though. Can't use it on carbs or intakes, but valve covers are fine. Just go easy on it so it doesn't squish out the other side and you won't have any trouble.
                  Exactly! Oil is fine with silicone.. and the problem is that the gasket just won't seal perfectly without it, works great with just a tiny little bit of silicone.

And it is not like I made the whole gasket out of silicone (which I don't really have a complaint against when required), I just used a fine skin of silicon over the gasket, plus a little extra on the half moons and it sealed it perfectly!

There are other gasket compounds which I am sure will work equally as well.

Comment

This is superb for putting on valve train cover gaskets. Works better than anything I have ever used and avoid the nasty stringy crap yah get form silicone.

Cleans up in alcohol as I recall.

messy though and you have to use it sparingly but that rule applies to any sealer.

Comment

I use Gasgacinch sealer on my gaskets. I first used it on the intake manifold gaskets on my 72 Chev. pickup. The Edelbrock manifold I put on recommended it to seal better. Works good and makes removing a gasket later much easier. I had to go to a Harley shop to get it then. Most bike shops have it. Bike Bandit, Dennis Kirk, etc. also have it.
                      Gasgacinch products serving customers like you for over 50 years. Our products represent performance, durability, and quality. We provide products direct to distributors and retail stores. Become a vendor today!

Comment

OK, dumb question on the Gasgacinch since I'm having problems finding it locally... What I have found locally is called Edelbrock Gasgacinch Gasket Sealer. Is this the same stuff or another brand's knockoff? I doesn't have the Gasgacinch falling girl logo on it as seen on their website?

Comment

Well found out that the Eldelbrock stuff is the same as Gasgacinch, Gasgacinch private brands it for Eldelbrock... The local shop sold thier last can, now I can't find either one.... So now I'm looking for something else to use

Comment

Working...
                          X