750 ignition coils on a 550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750 ignition coils on a 550?

Hey guys and gals, I'm wondering if the ignition coils from a same year 750 es will work on my 550e? I need to replace at least one of them and I got a guy with the 750's for a great price. He seems to think they will work but he's a general bike guy. I'm sure being GS specific someone will know.
    Thanks a whole bunch

P.S. He also is pretty sure the fairing peices will fit on mine as well. (he's got full fairing pieces from the 750 and thinks I can fit them on my 550)
    I only asked because I'm running an 1100 headlight right now and want to get the original rectangle and fairing assembly back.

P.S.(again) Has anyone heard of the 550fs or F anything? This parts guy seems to recall an F model that was even more sporty than the ES.

Re: 750 ignition coils on a 550?

The coils from the same year 750 should work just fine on a 550. Coil mounts are pretty standard, so they should bolt right into the original mount holes.

Earl

[quote="komdo"]Hey guys and gals, I'm wondering if the ignition coils from a same year 750 es will work on my 550e? I need to replace at least one of them and I got a guy with the 750's for a great price. He seems to think they will work but he's a general bike guy. I'm sure being GS specific someone will know.
    Thanks a whole bunch
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The '83 and up 550s, 750s, 1100s, and 1150s were all available with and without the fairing. The '83 750 E had a small bikini fairing and the ES had the frame mounted fairing.

Comment

Re: 750 ignition coils on a 550?

Originally posted by komdo

P.S.(again) Has anyone heard of the 550fs or F anything? This parts guy seems to recall an F model that was even more sporty than the ES.
        Full model list was as follows

GS550 L - Custom style naked
        GS550 E - A mini bikini fairing
        GS550 ES - Bikini Fairing with lower panels down to top of Cylinder Head
        GS550 EF - Full fairing, which consisted of the ES fairing plus extended lowers to envelope the front of the frame/engine, I can only presume that you have got the FS suffix from the fact that they are "Flippin Scarce".

Comment

Working...
        X