Who rides a little one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who rides a little one?

I'm looking for electrical parts for a GS250X. Years of getting pinched shorted the wiring harness under the seat, and took out the regulator and stator. (Stator Ohms 3:3:1 for resistance between the three legs, and evidence of burned oil on several poles.)

The stator for a 550 seems to be identical. Is it? Or should I just rewind the one I've got?; it seems easier than winding an armature.

Likewise, the electrical setup seems to be identical for all GS bikes. Does that mean I can use any regulator for a GS bike? I have heard that Honda regs can also be used? Which ones?

MarkF
    Last edited by mf70; 06-01-2007, 03:09 PM.
    Mark Fisher
    sigpic
    ..............................27 years

I may have a spare for a GS300L if you don't find anything else. Should fit.

Mike

Comment

If I recall correctly, the CB 250 Superdream and CX 500 reg/rec could be used, but they all died from camchain failure years ago :-D and even if you find one you'll have to figure out different wiring colours and maybe change the connectors. If you can find a Suzuki unit I'd stick with that or get a much-more-reliable replacement. Same goes for the stator. I had a rewind last for 6 years on my 650 before it failed, the non-Suzuki replacement stator for that is still okay after another 6.

Comment

Should be able to get aftermarket replacements for both at Z1 enterprises.

Any RR should work as long as it's 12v & you can make all the connections.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Any 12v rectifier will work, a rectifier is just a set of four diods which turns an AC current from the stator into a DC current. You will also want to make sure the rectifier wil handle the current from the stator, I don't know what that should be... probably finding a Suzuki part would be easier though.

Comment

Those CX/CL Honda reg fit & work just fine, mount the same, better made than the original suzuki.

Comment

Stator rewind progress

It looks like the GS250 stator is physically smaller than the one detailed in:

There, each tower is wound with 11' 2" of magnet wire, while my stator only holds about 5' 6" of wire, composed of 34 turns of #18 wire. The rewind seems to be going well (2/3 done with step#4), though I wish there was some way of verifying operation before I button the engine case back up. It appears to be a "Y" wound unit rather than the delta wind detailed in the article.

I'm amused by the used stators offered on E-bay; some of them look as bad as the one I pulled off! In clipping the wiring harness from the windings, it was apparent that the heat from the windings had cooked the non-heat-resistant wiring harness; it would not have been safe to re-install it even if it were in good condition, as the flexing of the harness at the splice to the stator had shattered the insulation at the splice.

Any opinion about the epoxy coating on the windings? Is this a heat transfer agent, or is it just neatness? I always thought varnishing the windings was done to add strength, but that doesn't apply to an immobile stator.
              Mark Fisher
              sigpic
              ..............................27 years

Comment

Working...
              X