Carb Overflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Overflow

My carbs seem to be overflowing when I park the bike. I've changed out the petcock, and it seems to be shutting off normally(When I take it off the bike it doesn't leak all over the place.) I know that my o-rings on my float valves are a little leaky but if the tanks petcock is off it should not effect overflowing right? What else could it be? TIA.

You still have a good deal of fuel in the lines and float bowls that will drain if the o-rings are letting fuel by. Then if you use the side stand and all the bowls have overfilled it runs down towards number 1 carb so you end up with a big puddle until they reach a level that they don't drain.

I've had those o-rings dry out on me before if the bike sat while I was doing mods. You also have to be careful not to shave a bit of it off when installing the valves. Put a little oil on them so they slide easier. You don't have to find the exact size. On my flatslides I used o-rings 1/16" wide, 5/32" i.d., and 9/32" o.d. Your CV's probably use the same. I got a pack of 9 at Pep Boys for a couple bucks. The brand name is O-TITE, part number 64007. Pep Boys has metal boxes you dig through to find what you need.

Comment

You Rock. Thanks again.

Comment

By the way, those o-rings are going to look too small. They are thicker though so you have to get a smaller diameter so they stretch to the right thickness. You may tear a couple trying to get them on the valves, but they end up the right thickness. Use oil getting them on to help. It's tough getting the exact part unless you want to have to order them. Another size that works are the ones for the pump up garden sprayers. The o-ring replacement for the tips of the nozzle are just right. Hardware stores or Home Depot should have them.

Comment

Swapped out the o-ring on number 1 carb, and all seems well. No more overflowing woohoo!

Comment

Working...
          X