repacking supertrapp exhaust...??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repacking supertrapp exhaust...??!

Does anyone know if you can repack a supertrapp exhaust can? i have one on my bike and was wondering if I could do so. It appears that the baffle is connected to the outside of the muffler.. these pictures should help explain. Anyway, if anyone knows if you can repack one, or if they ar'nt supposed to be packed at all? or has repacked one, please let me know!
    Also, it appears that the piece that looks like a "washer" that is sandwiched between the baffle and the can moves, a little, but I dont want to try to force it out as the disks bolt onto it and I think it may be anchored in the can.. anyway, here a some pictures...

From the front of the pipe to the rear, the light gray (grey?) area is a tapered part leading into the center of the baffle

Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2007, 05:57 PM.

I have always been under the impression that there is no "packing" in a Supertrap muffler. You adjust the noise level by adding or removing discs at the rear.

Never had one on a bike, though, so I could be mistaken.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Where are the restrictor plates? You can change the sound and backpressure just by adding or removing plates...

Comment

I have the plates, they are just removed. I guess there is no packing then, that is what I kind of figured.. Thanks..

Nick

Comment

There Is So Packing!

There is packing in a supertrapp, on mine there are the 6 screws that hold the cap (s) on as well as an allen head screw that goes in from the bottom at about the 7 o'clock position right near the back, this screw holds the baffle in. The baffle is attached to the plate that you bolt the discs to and it all comes out in one piece. The front of the baffle is a pretty tight fit inside the muffler right where the muffler starts to flare. It can be a bastard to pull out! Mine was making a blatty rattly noise. When I got the baffle out 2/3 of the fiberglass was burnt out. I repacked it with fiberglass matting, nothing special,but I had to carefully beat it back together using a 3lb hammer and some blocks of wood. and it made the bike sound 100% better. The packing goes around the outside of the baffle, between the baffle and the outer pipe. Still sounds great after 6 years and around 30000 kms.
          Also, I don't cap my muffler there is an open cone cap for the back that says "for closed course only" it's not obnoxiously loud unless you really root on it.
          Last edited by derwood; 06-02-2007, 01:11 AM. Reason: doh!
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
            There is packing in a supertrapp.
            OK, I defer to the man with experience. :-\"

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

gee, I dont see any screw.. the plate that has 6 screws and hooks to the baffle is loose in the outside pipe, I can move it a 16th inch all the way around... I hope I dont wreck anything, but I think I'm going to torch the front of the pipe (where the exhaust comes in) where the baffle is pressed into the taper and try to pull it out... I hope I dont wreck anything.. :-D ..... wish me luck,

Nick

Comment

Mine has a oval head screw that takes a 4mm allen driver. You may have rivets to drill out instead of a screw.Careful with the heat , however the stainless polishes up really well with fine emery. HEY , GO HERE! ... http://www.supertrapp.com/resource/faqs.asp#12
                apparently on some you leave the discs on and tap core put from the inlet end with a broom handle,
                Last edited by derwood; 06-02-2007, 10:29 PM.
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I went to the faq, and read it and went back to my exhaust... still no go,I do not have a screw holding the baffle in and I also do not have a "tag" with supertrapp riveted to the muffler... I tried with a broom stick and also, no go...

I sent the questions to supertrapp, and will respond with their answer..

(thanks for the emails too :-D )

Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X