Ignition timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition timing?

I was wondering... Is it possible to change the ignition timing on these bikes? If so, what's involved?

Originally posted by drycell View Post
    I was wondering... Is it possible to change the ignition timing on these bikes? If so, what's involved?

And which bike is it that you have? :?

Comment

Can it be changed? Yes.

What's involved? Depends on what bike you have. As soon as you let us know, somebody will gladly tell you. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry. It's an 82 GS850G

Comment

I believe you can adjust the timing by removing/loosening the timing plate and then moving it as necessary... are you sure your timing needs to be adjusted? I've got an 80' GS850GL and the timining is still spot on. FYI, in case you ever need to know in the future, your timing is a electronic transistorized ignition, you do NOT have points or condensors.

Comment

I'm not sure if I need to. It backfires a little at idle. I believe it does when I'm driving, also. When I went to go for a test drive it was backfiring loudly and I managed to haggle with him on account of it. Since then, it's been getting quieter. Maybe it was just old gas? What else could cause that?

Comment

Bad spark plugs. Or a lean condition caused by dirty carbs, wrong float setting, bad petcock, or intake leaks.

Comment

If you have a timing light and a manual (such as Clymers or Haynes) the timing is very easy to check.

Comment

if it still has the stock ignition system then there is no adjustment without modifications and none are needed as electronic ignitions don't drift like points.

Comment

Working...
                  X