clutch basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch basket

i found a guy with quite a few gs engines... few 550's.. a 750 and an 850... what i need is a clutch basket for a gs1000... are any of these the same? my engine is a 78... not sure about the years on the other engines.. umm the 750 looks exactly like mine.. same covers and all.. the 850 is a little oldr looking and has a kick start.. so i need to know will any clutch baskets fit.. thanks -matt

If you know the model and year of the parts bikes you can double check cross reference part numbers here. http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_select...g=Suzuki#SDOWN
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

no one ever answers my posts... with anything good.. part numbers dont mean squat.. ive had engine covers from one bike.. fit another with two different part numbers.. the bike shop swore it would never fit because the numbers were diferent, and from different models of bikes.. but they fit... has noone any expierience with 750-850-1000 gs engine parts? or what?

Comment

Well, I'm sure SOME of your posts get answered with something good,hehe. Have you tried posting in the parts wanted section? Another idea is E-bay;checking all ads for gs1000 parts. Sometimes they part out a bike but only mention it in ads for specific parts. I know this doesn't answer your original post but I suspect people are reluctant to suggest another model when changes can be done mid-year at the factory (Actually not uncommon,) Most people here really want to help and will try. Good Luck!! RJ

BTW How about posting a photo of your GS, pristine or ratbike,we like 'em all.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
          no one ever answers my posts... with anything good.. part numbers dont mean squat.. ive had engine covers from one bike.. fit another with two different part numbers.. the bike shop swore it would never fit because the numbers were diferent, and from different models of bikes.. but they fit... has noone any expierience with 750-850-1000 gs engine parts? or what?
          Whining about the quality and speed of free assistance on obscure topics is normally considered quite gauche... let's not let desperation overtake manners, shall we?

Anyway, I've looked through the relevant fiches, and the clutch basket and some of the other clutch parts for the '78 GS1000 look quite different than the ones found on the 750 and the 850G (the 850 with the kick starter would be a '79 model).

Anything is possible, so this is not certain, but it appears the '78 1000 has a different clutch basket than either the 750 or the 850. This makes sense, because the 1000 would need a stouter clutch than its less powerful cousins.

The 850 was a shaft drive development of the early 750, so they share many parts. The clutch baskets look much the same, and many of the clutch parts probably interchange. The 1000 engine looks much the same as the 750, but few parts interchange.

Your best bet is probably to post in the "Parts Wanted" section.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
            What a polite, well mannered statement. Yeah Right!!
            It's no wonder you don't get helpful responses with that attitide!!
            :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

hey i really didnt mean for that to sound whining or mean.. but when i read it now it sounds kinda snobby..... sorry about that... im just desperate for answers from someone with expierience... i listed it in the parts section last week.. and found one. but i had some leads that were local, thats why i asked about the parts interchange... and after 3 days.. only one response, and it didnt really help because the numbers and looks are different, but that doesnt mean they dont work.. but ohwell ill jyst buy the one from dude on here.. and again, im sorry if my post came across the wrong way, ill be more carfeull about how i word them.. just in a tight spot with matter, and this is the only place i know to find the info i need.. sorry -matt.. p.s. ive posted my bike about 3 times already...

Comment

Working...
              X