Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb cleaner - safe for GS carbs?

Greetings all

New to the forum, what a fantastic resource I can't peel myself away since discovering it. \\/

Need some help on carbs: about to attempt a poor-mans carb cleaning with the "spray into intake with engine running" cleaner and I want to know if there are any components in the carbs that don't take to this method kindly.

I fried some seat needles on a '83 Gold Wing using carb spray cleaner as the needles were neoprene tipped and MELTED as a result. A nice $300 lesson for me I don't want to repeat.

Many of you I know will respond with "do the strip and dip" method which I may dive into but thought to try spray cleaner first.

Thanks

------------------
    '83 GS850G

Trust me...save yourself a lot of heartache, swearing, and just being generally p!ssed off....get the o-rings from Robert Barr, look up the re-build series and re-build the carbs. Will only take you 3 hours....

Comment

I don't think there is anything that will be hurt by the "spray in the intake" method. However, that will only clean one side of the slide and needle. If you want to do any good at all, you have already guessed it, you're going to have to do the "strip and dip". Speedzter says it only takes 3 hours, I tend to disagree. I will strip the first carb and put it in the dip. Directions say for 15-30 minutes. I prefer 15-30 hours. That's right, just like the vitamins, One a Day.

While you have the carbs off, check the condition of the intake tubes. If they are hard and maybe brittle, you should order new ones. They are not cheap, but the bike will run SO much better. Whether you need the tubes or not, you will need the o-rings that seal them to the head. Under $2 each. Get the o-ring kit for the carbs from Robert Barr. He is a member of this forum and can set you up with all that you need. \\/

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Directions say for 15-30 minutes. I prefer 15-30 hours. That's right, just like the vitamins, One a Day.
        I agree with the full rebuild method. Just a guess here but I'd say that about 2/3 of the people don't go far enough during their first carb rebuild and have to do it again.

Regarding how long to dip the carbs, if you leave them in too long the aluminum will turn dark. Ask me how I know...
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The only thing the spay carb cleaner will clean is the valves and some carbon off the top of the pistons. Hardly even touches the carbs. As stated only the slide.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I figured as much.

Thanks for the replies, looks like I have a carb bath to draw. I'll be back on the board I'm sure for bail-outs during the adventure so stay tuned

Cheers

Comment

Due to my lack of experience can anyone please describe the symptoms of dirty carbs? Starting, idle, driveability - anything helps.

Only reason I ask is that after bringing my gs850 out of storage engine performance now feels like a VESPA 150cc scooter, idle is not possible - dies unless I hold throttle open, choke has little impact on running.

When parked 9 months ago she ran wonderfully (although regulator was faulty, new one now in the mail).

Must be Ignition or carbs.

Which one to tackle first?
              Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2007, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shawzygs850 View Post
                Due to my lack of experience can anyone please describe the symptoms of dirty carbs? Starting, idle, driveability - anything helps.

Only reason I ask is that after bringing my gs850 out of storage engine performance now feels like a VESPA 150cc scooter, idle is not possible - dies unless I hold throttle open, choke has little impact on running.

When parked 9 months ago she ran wonderfully (although regulator was faulty, new one now in the mail).

Must be Ignition or carbs.

Which one to tackle first?
                Let me give you a hint...ignore the ignition. 8-[

Why are you asking for the symtoms of dirty carbs? Sounds like you are already experiencing them all. :shock:
                Any time you are going to let the bike sit for more than a couple of weeks, plan on putting some fuel stabilizer in and running it long enough to make sure the mixture gets into the carbs. It does not take much, a spirited trip around a city block is enough. Many people use Sta-Bil, a product found in any auto parts store, Wal-Mart, and I even saw it in Lowe's yesterday. I have started using SeaFoam. It is more of a cleaner, but it also has good stabilizer properties, so it kills two birds with one stone. \\/

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Regarding how long to dip the carbs, if you leave them in too long the aluminum will turn dark. Ask me how I know...

I have done several sets of carbs in the last couple of years and have had NO discoloration with a 23-hour dip time. I decided to go with a longer dip time when 30 minutes did not clean the carbs, so I tried 2 hours. Still not enough, so I just did one every evening when I go home from work. 8-[

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

In that case Steve I will goto the carbs pronto.

Much appreciated!

I always wonder if ignition troubles are similar in nature to carb troubles from a symptoms perspective.

Comment

In the bikes I've owned over the years (78 Honda CB550, 78 GS550, 79 GS1000/last 12 years) I've put a bottle of fuel-injector cleaner in the fuel tank each spring in order to break down gum in the carbs with no adverse effects. In a couple of cases I had cold enrichment or idle problems that went away after doing this. Sold under a variety of labels, it's typically around a 300mL bottle and is called fuel injector cleaner. The spray-in-the-carb chemical was intended for down-draft type carbs (automotive) which would build fuel "muck" from evaporated fuel vapor over time in the venturi and vertical air bleeds and on linkages (oil muck).....it doubled as combustion chamber cleaner and was more used for that purpose. It won't hurt your bike but may do little to help it as bikes generally run hot, high rpm and the style of side-draft carbs aren't as prone to this problem.

Comment

Great tip Sparkss thanks

Comment

Question on carb re-assembly: Not sure if I should seat the Air Screw fully or back it off a few threads.

When removing it wasn't tight.

Comment

Are you talking about the one that is in the intake throat? All the jets should be rather snug in their seats. The only one that needs adjustment is the mixture screw which is on the top of the outlet of the carb, just before the rubber intake tube that is attached to the cylinder head. Depending on which bike you have, whether it has pods and/or pipes, other jetting concerns, start with the mixture screws 1 1/2 to 2 turns out from lightly seated.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

One that is outside of carb, with spring, washer and rubber washer - pic 26 in rebuild series

http://www.thegsresources.com/images/carbs/026_Air%20screw%20removed.jpg

I assume this is mixture screw?

Pods? Sorry not sure what those are
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2007, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X