No announcement yet.

Carb cleaner - safe for GS carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep that's the idle mixture screw. It's labeled air screw in that pic but it fine tunes idle fuel supply on the CV carbs (1980 and later bikes).

Comment

If this is IDLE mixture screw how does one alter A/F ratio above idle?

My GS appears to run rich above idle - on acceleration I typically have a nice plume of black smoke out the exhaust and plugs are nicely carbon fouled, not to mention mileage isn't so hot. I assumed the previous owner had her tuned rich for performance reasons, or does this point to another problem? I would like to eliminate the rich running above idle. I don't think jets have been changed but then again no idea how to tell.

I would think that poor ignition could also make things "appear" rich when they are not, if for example mixture doesn't burn completely due to weak spark. Just guessing here...

Comment

SUCCESSSS!!!!!

Just want to report my troubles are over thanks to a carb overhaul. She started up sooo nicely it was great to here that engine scream again - gave me tingles. Aside from a bit of popping when on choke she is right as rain. Going to adjust air screws should take care of it.

Thanks all could not have done it without the help from this board.

Cheers

----
        EDIT: Need to verify but I still may have the slight rich running condition - but after reading through threads and how carbs work in general I have some ideas on how to lean her out through the 3 ranges (idle = air screw, mid = needle jet, above 3/4 throttle = main jet)
        Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2007, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X