Flasher relay or what? '81 GS750EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flasher relay or what? '81 GS750EX

Well, bikebandit.com is absolutely no help in this matter. It shows the tab in the upper left corner on my electrical plate (to the left and slightly up from the fuse box), but not what goes there, and there's not a pic of the blinker relay.

This tab didn't have anything on it when I got the bike, so I don't know what the original part looks like. Is it a round relay or rectangular? If someone with a GS750EX could take a pic of the electrical plate (under the left side cover) so I could at least know what I'm looking for I'd greatly appreciate it. I also don't know if the '81 models had the self-cancelling blinkers, if it does I want to get rid of it and manually cancel my blinkers. I read on a post of someone replacing the flasher module with one from an '82 Bronco, but I think that was a '79 and they were having problems with aftermarket blinkers which I'm going to be putting on the bike anyway since the originals are missing.

I can deal with replacing a faulty part. When the original part's not there for me to make a comparison or at least to know what I'm looking for, THAT's when the blood pressure starts rising.

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
    I also don't know if the '81 models had the self-cancelling blinkers, if it does I want to get rid of it and manually cancel my blinkers.

Can't help you with the picture, but what's wrong with self-cancelling blinkers?

The first self-cancelling blinkers I saw on a bike were on a '76 Yamaha XS750. I find it amusing that in the 30+ years since then, I have not seen a single automobile that will cancel its turn signal unless you turn the steering wheel. Why can't they tie in to the odometer or a timer like our bikes do? :shock:

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Look on the "Turn Signal Lamp" schematic on bikebandit. It's part 31 for $35.10. It looks like a small black plastic box with two contacts sticking out the bottom (the contacts look similar to ones on any regular power cable that you plug into a wall socket, at least on mine they look like that).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Can't help you with the picture, but what's wrong with self-cancelling blinkers?

The first self-cancelling blinkers I saw on a bike were on a '76 Yamaha XS750. I find it amusing that in the 30+ years since then, I have not seen a single automobile that will cancel its turn signal unless you turn the steering wheel. Why can't they tie in to the odometer or a timer like our bikes do? :shock:

Actually, I had a '90 Olds Cutlass Calais that would sound a warning if your blinker was on too long without being cancelled. I don't know if it would self-cancel, because the warning was so loud and annoying I never left it on to find out.

The only thing wrong with self-cancelling blinkers on these bikes is the apparently $300 price tag on the replacement part. Also, 90 percent of the problems I've had on my bikes has been electrical instead of mechanical, so I'm very big on "if I don't need it, lose it" in the electrical department. Although, unlike the PO, I believe blinkers ARE a necessity, so they're going back on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          Look on the "Turn Signal Lamp" schematic on bikebandit. It's part 31 for $35.10. It looks like a small black plastic box with two contacts sticking out the bottom (the contacts look similar to ones on any regular power cable that you plug into a wall socket, at least on mine they look like that).
          Okay, thanks! Now at least I know what it looks like. I don't know why they'd just stick the part in the corner of the schematic with no reference to where the part actually goes on the bike or how it's hooked up. I'm assuming that since they want $35 and not $300 that I don't have self-cancelling blinkers? And is that the part that goes on the "tab" on the electrical plate?

Comment

I also don't know if the '81 models had the self-cancelling blinkers, .
            My stock 81 GS750EX doesn't have self cancelling blinkers. Don't know if it was an option?

Comment

my 81 gs750ex has the flasher relay under the tank area. it slips over a rubber covered steel tab. tucks away nicely. it is not on the electrical plate underneath the side cover. i ended up buying a flasher from napa. it works fine. been fine for 3 years now with aftermarket turn signals...and no self cancelling turn signals either..

Comment

Okay, thanks! Now at least I know what it looks like. I don't know why they'd just stick the part in the corner of the schematic with no reference to where the part actually goes on the bike or how it's hooked up. I'm assuming that since they want $35 and not $300 that I don't have self-cancelling blinkers? And is that the part that goes on the "tab" on the electrical plate?
                It goes on the electrical plate on my GS450, and looks like it does on yours also.

Comment

I'm assuming that since they want $35 and not $300 that I don't have self-cancelling blinkers?
                  Not necessarily. The $35 part is just the flasher. That part can be replaced with a $5 flasher from Auto Zone. The $300 part is the self-cancelling control box.
                  sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Well, since none of the other GS750EX's that have posted have self-cancelling blinkers, I think it's safe to assume that I don't either. Looks like all I need is a trip to the auto parts store for the flasher and four blinkers, probably go for Emgo or something from JC Whitney.

Comment

To help determine this, examine your turn signal switch. My 650L (manual-cancel) has 3 distinct positions:
                      1: Left - activates left signal
                      2: Center - off
                      3: Right - activates right signal

My 850L (auto-cancel) has 5 positions:
                      1: Far Left - activates left signal
                      2: Left - switch stays here after activating left signal
                      3: Center - off
                      4: Right - switch stays here after activating right signal
                      5; Far Right - activates right signal

If you have a 5-position switch, the detents will feel a little "mushy" whcn going from 2 to 1 or from 4 to 5, but crisper if you cross center to use the other signal. A 3-position switch has crisp detents all the way across.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                      X