Bike wants to flop down in turns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike wants to flop down in turns.

Got in my first test ride on the GS 750 today. It was a bit scary as I have a strange front end that wants to flop down when I initiate a turn. Doesn't matter left or right it feels like it wants to flop right over. I suspect the steering head bearings or real crappy front tire or combination of both.

The bearings feel fine with the bike on center stand. No feeling of notchiness.

The tire is likely 10 years old, dry and no tread on the center of the tire.

I think I'll change the tire first and see what happens. The bike is at 19000 Km so I suppose the head bearings could be trash as well.

Any thoughts people?

Cheers,
    Spyug.

I wonder if the front tire is slipping (racers call "pushing") when you are turning, since you say the tire is in such bad condition, and this is what seems like it wants to 'flop over'.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
      Got in my first test ride on the GS 750 today. It was a bit scary as I have a strange front end that wants to flop down when I initiate a turn. Doesn't matter left or right it feels like it wants to flop right over. I suspect the steering head bearings or real crappy front tire or combination of both.

The bearings feel fine with the bike on center stand. No feeling of notchiness.

The tire is likely 10 years old, dry and no tread on the center of the tire.

I think I'll change the tire first and see what happens. The bike is at 19000 Km so I suppose the head bearings could be trash as well.

Any thoughts people?

Cheers,
      Spyug.
      Without seeing or riding the bike it's a little hard to judge but 10 years old or only 19000km are hardly reasons to have bad head bearings (my 79 Gs1000 has 88000+ on it with the same head bearings...not always used easy or on smooth roads)

Get it up on the center stand again, jack with a board under the engine to get the front end to come clear of the ground and try wiggling the front wheel perpendicular to the axle (wheel bearings).....If you have wire spoked wheels look for looseness in several spokes (this would be rare and amount to not a rigid connection between the rim and hub). Recheck those head bearings with the wheel clear and look also for play between the telescoping sections of your forks (rare also but this may indicate accident damage). Look for bent backwards forks (accident damage) right below the triple-tree.
      If all the above checks out and/or initially check for good fork shocking action and that the air in them is normal pressure. Failing the above check for a lack of oil (no shock action).

The bald (?) tire isn't a great plan but should be not a factor on dry pavement.

Comment

For someone with over 40 years of wrenching on cars, boats and now motorcycles I can be such a squid at times.

What do they preach at the MSF courses. CHECK YOUR TIRES !!!! Sorry for shouting.

4 LBS in front, 20Lbs in the rear. Doh what a chowder head.

I'll bet that is my problem. I was in such a hurry to test ride I forgot the basics.

I also jacked up the front end and everything is tight so I'm thinking its all down to lack of tire pressure.

I've had a few brown pops this afternoon so test ride #2 will have to wait until tomorow. With a bit of luck, I'll get new front rubber and a chain Monday and get her in for certification Tuesday.

I'm getting excited again so I better have a cold shower:-D

I'll keep you posted on what I find tomorrow.

Cheers all,
        Spyug.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2007, 05:14 PM.

Comment

10 year old rubber! Shelf life of a tyre is supposedly 5years max. Swap the tyres out and then see what its like.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

4 lbs, good grief! Its a good thing it did handle so badly you didnt want to push it any harder. You likely would have been in the ditch on your head. LOL

E.

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            4 LBS in front, 20Lbs in the rear. Doh what a chowder head.

I'll keep you posted on what I find tomorrow.

Cheers all,
            Spyug.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Well,

If he would've ridden it fast enough to heat it up good, he might've gotten it up to 6 psi!:-D
              Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
              "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E
              1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

The last bike I rode that wanted to do that was due to low front tire pressure, just like you found.

Comment

Besides the 10-year-old tire and the lack of inflation, you mention no tread in the middle of the tire. Someone said that should not be a problem on dry roads, I heartily disagree. Lack of tread in the middle will square out the profile of the tire, giving it a flatter area while going relatively straight. Try to turn, and, as you lean, you will be lifting it onto that square edge (which takes a bit of effort), then it will lean a LOT easier, almost like turning on the power steering switch. :shock:
                  Granted, it happens is a slow, controlled manner, but it is unnerving, nonetheless.

Do yourself and everybody else a favor. Get new tires, inflate them properly, enjoy the ride. \\/

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey I see we have another member from the hammer on here. There are a few of us on here.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolorange View Post
                      Hey I see we have another member from the hammer on here. There are a few of us on here.
                      yes, there are, and I don't understand why none of them (that I know of) are coming to my rally this month, only a few hours away!! Do something that means you can no longer cross the border?? :shock:

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

I just want to make it clear I was doing a 5 minute test ride to determine what still has to be done for certification. I have absolutely no intention of trying to kill myself or others by riding a faulty bike. Noteing the state of the tire I should not even have tried to ride it. Sometimes eagerness overtakes caution.

New tire and drive chain are ordered and should be on hand Tuesday. With rainy weather called for over the next week its not likely I'll get a chance to terrorize the neighbourhood sooner than next weekend and will have to content myself with checking everything over again

Despite this lapse today, I am a conservative and cautious person and I know stupid hurts.

As they say on TV "Don't try this at home!"

Cheers,
                        Spyug.

Comment

What speeds are you making your turns at? Are you makiing very slow turns? These bikes do have a higher center of gravity than todays cruiser type motorcycles, and will fall over at some point when the speed gets slow enough especially in a tight turn.

Greg O

Comment

As well, given everything is on the up and up - a properly inflated tire that is also in good operating condition - you have a 16" wheel up front and from what has been written and said, this set up has a tendency to be a little more reponsive to rider input when compared to a 17 or 18" wheel.
                            I can't speak from experience though at this point.

Comment

I was able to scare up a new tire from a friend and with that on and the back end properly inflated it now seems to handle properly. The feeling of flopping is gone at any speed over walking. At ultra low speed, it is still evident to some degree. Add a little throttle and it disappears.

It is not quite as responsive to turn in as my ( lighter) XS650 but it does handle nicely with a bit of throttle and it definitely has gobs of power. Give it a bit of right hand and it is fairly flickable. Its so smooth its got me wondering what a Gixxer must feel like.

The power is wonderful as you can lug it in any gear and wick it right up to redline with no protest. A little clutch slip in 5th from a stop light and it pulls away no problemo.

I'm going to like this bike. Cheers,
                              Spyug.

Comment

Working...
                              X