Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Stator?

Hi All,

I've determined that my battery isn't getting charged (its 6 months old, dies after several rides).

Anyway, I looked at the stator papers and started doing some testing of the stator. From the stator, all wire pairs should show at least 75V, but what I get is the following, all at 5500rpm:

wht/blu-yellow: 90V
    yellow-wht/grn: 60V
    wht/blu-wht/grn: 35V

I didn't do the next resistance test, which clearly I should do, but is it possible that this still points to the stator as the problem? Or, are these unequal readings the cause for my R/R dying?

Thanks

-Warren

Do a continuity check between the pairs as well. DOes look like you have a short though with the readings. Hap or KZ should be able to interpret those readings.

Comment

Hi WarrenC,

Where all leads connected as you made the readings?

Meaning all stator, r/r wires on the bike connected as stock?

If yes, disconnect the wires from the stator and make a new Voltage test at 5.000 rpm.

EDIT:
      If no, it looks like the stator, I would make the stator resistance test, and/or dismount the statorcover and have a look/smell on the stator.

Comment

You must disconect the stator wires to test. If those readings were taken with the stator disconnected it is toast. The AC voltage readings between any two of the wires should all be about the same.

Comment

Sq dancer lynn is right. But you might also want to check the reg-rectifier. I bought a stator assuming my old one was bad, then found out (at least on 850's) that some gs models routinely fry their rectifiers every 20k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            You must disconect the stator wires to test. If those readings were taken with the stator disconnected it is toast. The AC voltage readings between any two of the wires should all be about the same.
            Thanks for the clarification SqDancerLynn1,

thats what i tried too say..

Comment

Working...
            X