Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!!! Oil leak and rally 3 days away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!!! Oil leak and rally 3 days away!

I really in hopes the good folks of the GSR can help me now. I have had oil leaking from the 750 for some time, but it was usually pretty slow and I had yet to identify where it's origin was from. Well today, it started coming out quite a bit faster. I had oil on the side wall of my rear tire and it left a few tablespoons of oil on my drive when I parked.

It seems to be coming from this strange hole in the case. You can get to it once you take off the cover that conceals the front sprocket. I have not idea why this hole is here, what it might be a part of in the engine and why on earth is it leaking oil? My worst nightmare would be to split the cases and if I can't stop this leak in the next two days, going to Robbinsville is OUT! :yikes::shock:

The three pics just close in on the hole that I am talking about. I pulled the side cover for the stator and also removed the starter and found nothing connected or related to this hole:

Pic1

Pic2

Pic 3

Please let me know if you have any info.

Thanks!!!!
    Jon

PS. its a 78 GS750E
    Last edited by jonr; 05-23-2011, 05:55 PM.
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Hi Jon, I just checked my 78 750 and it has the same hole. Mine is perfectly dry and in examining it with a small mirror and flashlight there doesn't appear to be anything in there, just an empty cavity. It may just be something they needed when making the casting or assembling the engine. I also checked the Suzuki service manual and couldn't find any reference to it. My guess is that you've got a gasket leaking and it's finding it's way into that cavity and out the hole. Wish I could be more help!

Comment

I'd stick a rubber plug in it and forget about it for now. Probably a real big job to find a leak down there. pull the plug out every now and then and see how much oil is accumulating. Or leave it open. Free automatic chain luber! BTW, I looked at the parts fiche also and didn't see anything. It looks like there is an o-ring between the crankcase halves that is for the oil gallery to the top end . Maybe it is seeping through and into the cavity in the casting.

Comment

Thanks Ed.
        I had a look at the cutaway image on the parts fiche and there seems to be a rectangular box there but nothing going to it. I did notice that the area was right below where the bottom and top cases meet.

Relic, I was contemplating a rubber plug with a notch grooved out to ensure that it stays put.

Stupified...

J

History book:
        12 Aprilia Shiver 750
        82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

NO NO NO!! dont put a plug in it!!!!

that is the drain hole for the starter cavity!!
          the O-ring around the nose of the starter has failed and oil is getting past it into the "bowl" the starter sits in, suzuki put a drain in it and that is what your oil is coming out of.

Comment

PS:: lube that rusty chain!!!!!!:shock:

Comment

leon,

Thanks for the post. I did pull the starter, but because I could not get it completely out (did not pull the carbs), I was not able to examine the cavity for any holes. I did notice some oil down in the bottom of the cavity, but I was wondering how so much oil could come out and give my back tire sidewall a dousing of oil and my driveway too.

I will replace that starter oring though. I've never pulled the starter before today, so that oring is at least 10 years old.

Jon

History book:
              12 Aprilia Shiver 750
              82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

The GS850 has the same empty space and drain hole under the starter cavity.

As long as you can get an o-ring that's sorta close in size for the starter nose, you should be fine. In fact, if you can find anyone who stocks metric o-rings, it's a standard size. I don't remember exactly what that size is, but I had no trouble finding one in a metric assortment a few years ago. I'm sure you have calipers.

Oil can also get under the starter if there's a big leak from the cam chain tensioner or oil pressure switch, but you would have noticed this.

Have fun in Robbinsville! Should be much better this year without the wiggly swingarm.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm going to degrease the area, lube the chain and replace that oring. I have great hopes....

J

History book:
                  12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                  82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

The Mystery Hole

We had a discussion of The Mystery Hole a while back relating to the GS850. Since the GS850 was a development of the earlier GS750 engine, they share this feature and these images may prove helpful.

All sorts of wild theories about The Mystery Hole were swirling around until I posted these photos proving the mystery hole is simply an empty space in the castings between the drain hole for the starter cavity and The Mystery Hole.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Brian,

GREAT pictures! I've got to pull the carbs back off anyway since my re-jetting project will take more tweaking than I have time for in the next three days. The stock jets are going back in and in the meantime, I can check out both the oil sending unit while I replace the starter oring. When I took off the starter cover, there was no oil on the sending unit side of the gasket, so I don't think it's leaking enough to cause my streaming oil leak.

Jon

Where would wannabe mechanics like me be without the GSR and its experts? Stuck within a 20 mile radius of home.

History book:
                      12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                      82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Originally posted by jonr View Post
                        Brian,

GREAT pictures! I've got to pull the carbs back off anyway since my re-jetting project will take more tweaking than I have time for in the next three days. The stock jets are going back in and in the meantime, I can check out both the oil sending unit while I replace the starter oring. When I took off the starter cover, there was no oil on the sending unit side of the gasket, so I don't think it's leaking enough to cause my streaming oil leak.

Jon

Where would wannabe mechanics like me be without the GSR and its experts? Stuck within a 20 mile radius of home.
                        Jon,

I sure hope you get this figured out before the rally. It wouldn't be the same without you. At least you don't have to worry about either bike for the Galena Rally!

Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I got a break today with concern to that starter oring. You could probably guess I had this repair on my mind last night when I went to sleep and it dawned on me that I have a complete gasket set for the 750 that I bought over a year ago.

I got up this morning to find the needed oring in that gasket set. Repairs to ensue after I finish my sandwich....

Keep your fingers crossed!
                          J

History book:
                          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Glad you found the leak source. I had the same problem once. Easy to replace the o-ring.
                            Sounds like you don't know if the jettings right? If you need help with it later, let me know.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Did you start the bike up with the cover off and confirm it was in fact leaking from there when running? Just making sure...before you get too far along!

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X