Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!!! Oil leak and rally 3 days away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GUILTY!

GUILTY!

You like the sand in there too? Must have been from before I had the gasket under the starter cover.

Back to work!
    J
    Last edited by jonr; 05-23-2011, 05:56 PM.
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Keith,

For about an hour, I read your postings to BillyboyB about him rejetting his GS1000 with a 4-1 and stock airbox. I'll take you up on some help with that project when I get back from the rally. I put my stock pilot and main jets back and will set all the mixture screws to what they were before I made the switch.

In my lack of experience with the jetting, I've already discolored my pipes a bit and I think I can wait to tackle it when I have more time to tweak it.

Regards,
      jon

History book:
      12 Aprilia Shiver 750
      82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Glad to hear your dire circumstances turned into a simple repair, Jon! Have fun in Robbinsville! See you this fall!!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by jonr View Post
          Keith,

For about an hour, I read your postings to BillyboyB about him rejetting his GS1000 with a 4-1 and stock airbox. I'll take you up on some help with that project when I get back from the rally. I put my stock pilot and main jets back and will set all the mixture screws to what they were before I made the switch.

In my lack of experience with the jetting, I've already discolored my pipes a bit and I think I can wait to tackle it when I have more time to tweak it.

Regards,
          jon
          OK. Yell if you want help.
          As long as you didn't move the jet needle e-clip positions, all you have to do is replace the 95 mains and 15 pilots. This assumes you run the stock box WITH the lid on.
          Only tinkering you may have to do is to re-set the pilot fuel screws underneath. If you didn't keep a record, 3/4 to 1 full turn out is a good starting point for stock intake/exhaust. The side air screws are always adjusted using the highest rpm method. They generally end up from 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out. Seat all screws LIGHTLY when seating.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I went through the same thing with my 82 gs1100 a couple years back. A similiar hole but same idea. It is a vent hole. Changing mystarted O-ring didn't help in my case. Mine would only leak during a highway run. To make a long story short, it turned out to be my trans gear oil was over filled. There is a specific screw that must be removed to indicate the proper level. The prior owner must not have realized it and filled it way past that. Once I had the level correct, the leak was gone.
            Hope it helps.
            Eddie V

Comment

Jon,
              I'm so glad you posted this when you did, I've been thinking about my starter lately and wondered how it drained. I knew that you had to get some water in there and such with cleaning the bike. I was just getting ready to post a question about it LOL.

BTW, I'm so jealous of you heading down to Robbinsville! I'm tempted to head down there in August with the VJMC, I just can't get away in time for this one.

Are you coming down to WV for our rally?

Comment

Keith,

Will shout at you when I get back. Thanks for the info.

Eddie,

My 750 is a chain drive, so no separate oil fill for the tranny. I know what you're talking about though; I've got that "level" screw on my 1100G shaftie.

Runewolf,

Don't know if I can make the WV rally or not. Will post on the thread as time nears.

-----
                I just got back from the garage and cleaning all the crud off has been the most of my day. The stator cover is back on and the starter motor is ready to be replaced. Then I've got to clean out that front sprocket area. That's so caked on, it will need to be scraped off before I even think of degreasing...

J

History book:
                12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Update to all of those who gave advice on my recent repairs. The 750 is road worthy and all I need to do is change the oil. That leaves me all day tomorrow to pack and get ready to go. Thanks to everyone who offered advice and instructions. I ended up putting my stock jets back in and after I fixed the oil leak, I did a sync and hit the road. Next thing you know, I'm blowing white smoke BIG TIME. I check the plugs and they are all becoming oil fouled! WTF?

Turns out when I made a new gasket for the breather cover on the valve cover, I missed cutting out two holes. You guessed it, the engine couldn't breathe and I was burning lots of oil. Made the correction and now she not only drives great, but the exhaust is now invisible!

Thanks again!
                  j

History book:
                  12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                  82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
                  X