Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just purchased 1982 GS1100EZ Need some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also notice that there is a buzz in the exhaust if run higher in the rpms...anyone have any suggestions on this?

I also changed the oil and filter today after the first ride around the block.

Ken[/QUOTE]
    the buzz in the exaust might be that the heat shield clamps are loose

Comment

Originally posted by kctrading View Post
      I also notice that there is a buzz in the exhaust if run higher in the rpms...anyone have any suggestions on this?
      Check the rubber bumper the center stand rests on. Left side bottom exhaust.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        Check the rubber bumper the center stand rests on. Left side bottom exhaust.

Both exhaust clamp bolts were very loose...that took out 90%...I will check the center stand rubber insulators...thanks!

Took the wife for a ride today...ran great...I notice that the left fork seal is not leaking as it did? I may drain and refill...maybe low and out of oil? Or once leak always leak?

Ken
        Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2007, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Both exhaust clamp bolts were very loose...that took out 90%...I will check the center stand rubber insulators...thanks!

Took the wife for a ride today...ran great...I notice that the left fork seal is not leaking as it did? I may drain and refill...maybe out of out or low? Or once leak always leak?

Ken
          They don't fix themselves.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What he said :-D...as far as what the dealer charges, here just a few weeks ago my local suzuki dealer quoted me $180 to replace both fork seals, the part from the same dealer is $12 per seal before tax so of course I changed them and the dust boots myself for about $55 out of pocket for 2 seals, 2 dust boots, and a pint of fork oil.

Comment

Or once leak always leak?Ken
              I just changed mine with a set from Bikebandit. One still leaked and one didnt. Got another set from Z1. These were much better quality seals and now Im leak free.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I think you guys have concinved me to order the seals and fluid and do it myself...is there any detailed writeups on this on the web or here? Maybe someone can scan me that section out of the factory manual???

Ken

Comment

Becides 24 and 6 what part numbers in the pic do I need to do a good job? What about number 12, o-rings? Getting factory parts. Also 15W fork oil, right?

Thanks,
                  Ken

Comment

Also I notice that I have some gear chatter in 5th gear only...I know about the problems with pitting on the gears...how hard and what is involved in changing these out?

Ken

Comment

Becides 24 and 6 what part numbers in the pic do I need to do a good job? What about number 12, o-rings? Getting factory parts. Also 15W fork oil, right?

Thanks,
                      Ken
                      You might get 15 & 16. My bolts were so tight I kinda wrecked the allan heads. Couldnt find them anywhere but Suzuki. I used 1 cup (8 oz) of 15 wt in each fork.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

5th gear chatter might be confused with a bad chain and sprockets.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          5th gear chatter might be confused with a bad chain and sprockets.
                          You know I notice that the chain seemed a little on the tight side so I loosen it up just a tad...same noise...but today...first hot day over 100 and about 3 miles out from work to home and the noise in 5th gear stop...I mean its gone! Nice and quiet...it must be from the extra hot day today...reading about 180 on the oil temp guage.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                          X