Valve Clatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Clatter

Hi all, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I adjusted the valves on my bike before setting out on a journey (by the way, never do this much maintenance to your bike right before a trip on it, if something goes wrong you're hooped - silly me) and I think I must have done something wrong, though I've done it lots of times before.

The feeler gauge set I used was a bit worn, and I think the wear affected its accuracy, because now that I've arrived it's very very clattery. Like, I'm a bit afraid to take the bike any further, which is a problem because I'm a long ways from home. I would happily just pay to have it readjusted, except I can't get any of the local bike shops to give me a straight answer on when they can do it. Since I have no other transportation, I'll be stranded at the bike shop for an indeterminate length of time...

Anyways, the point: it's gotten louder than it was, during the journey. If the feeler gauge was worn past the point of accuracy, wouldn't that make it too tight? In which case it would be quiet, not loud, no?

What could I have done to create this situation, and is it safe for another 500kms or so? Basically, I'm not too concerned about the valves being too loose, but the possible wear of them being too tight could be a problem, right?

Somebody help me out here. Should I just ride it home and check it out there, or could that break it?

Thanks very much in advance.

What bike are you on?

If you have screw adjusters on the valves, its easy enough to either miss tightening/locking down an adjuster or not tightening one enough and having it work loose.
    I would guess that if valve clatter is getting louder, clearances must be increasing. Do you have wrenches to remove the valve cover, rotate the crank and check the tappets to see if they are all about the same?

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      What bike are you on?

If you have screw adjusters on the valves, its easy enough to either miss tightening/locking down an adjuster or not tightening one enough and having it work loose.
      I would guess that if valve clatter is getting louder, clearances must be increasing. Do you have wrenches to remove the valve cover, rotate the crank and check the tappets to see if they are all about the same?

Earl
      My thoughts exactly - sounds like possibly loose valve adjuster locknuts. You need to pull the valve cover and investigate muy pronto. I wouldn't ride the bike another inch if at all possible.

The tools needed are quite simple and cheap at any auto parts store. Buy a metric feeler gauge, a 10mm wrench for the valve cover bolts if you don't have one, and the smaller (Is it 7 or 8mm?) wrench needed for the locknuts. A 19mm or 3/4" wrench will suffice for turning the engine. Get a small bottle of hand cleaner and some rags, and you should be ready for surgery for under $25.

Find a nice shady spot and get to work. You'll do far better work in a parking lot with simple hand tools than the disinterested stoners inhabiting fully equipped bike shops.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You're so right, guys. Thanks so much, I'll check it out ASAP.

Comment

What bike are you on?

Earl
          Oh, I'm on a 1982 Kat 750, so that's completely possible.

Comment

Locknuts are either 7mm or 9mm. Can't remember which but it was a stupid in-between size my set didn't have...

Comment

OK so I popped the top and it doesn't look like anything too destructive went on. I half-expected to see some stray locknuts had bounced about wreaking havoc.

I'll go buy a feeler gauge set and check 'em again, I must have done something dramatically wrong.

Could someone please post the valve clearances specs? I looked but couldn't find them. Oh, and what size the lock nuts are? I'll have to buy the tools and the previous post has me nervous about getting the wrong ones, heh.

Hmm, and what size are the square adjusters themselves? At home I have a special tool and I've never looked at it that closely, *sigh*.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

The square adjusters are 3mm (three). The adjuster nuts are 9mm (nine).
                Valve clearances both intake and exhaust are 0.09-0.13mm (0.004-0.005 inches)

Earl

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
                Could someone please post the valve clearances specs? I looked but couldn't find them. Oh, and what size the lock nuts are? I'll have to buy the tools and the previous post has me nervous about getting the wrong ones, heh.

Hmm, and what size are the square adjusters themselves? At home I have a special tool and I've never looked at it that closely, *sigh*.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

The square adjusters are 3mm (three). The adjuster nuts are 9mm (nine).
                  Valve clearances both intake and exhaust are 0.09-0.13mm (0.004-0.005 inches)

Earl
                  You're a prince, thank you so much.

Comment

Any time a'tall y'all. :-)

E.

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
                    You're a prince, thank you so much.

Comment

A #2 robertson screw (deck screw)will turn the adjuster.
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Hey now, thats handy to know. You could run the screw into the end of a dowel and have your own little adjuster wrench for a couple cents. Thanks.

Earl

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                        A #2 robertson screw (deck screw)will turn the adjuster.

Comment

Welp, I did my valve adjustment in a friend's garage and the clatter's gone! Well mostly, you know how these old GSs sound.

The problem was #2 intake, it was way too open. I dunno how I missed it, but she's fixed now and carried me home no problem.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

*sniff*

I just love a happy ending! \\/
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              *sniff*

I just love a happy ending! \\/
                              Me too...............:-D
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X