Removal of trip meter knob...How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal of trip meter knob...How?

Hi folks. I have a nice 1980 GS550E that needs to have speedometer work (face screw has worked itself out). How does one get the trip meter knob to pull out? It is NOT held on with a tiny phillipshead screw like my earlier GT models used....so how do I get it to come off? I hate to pull on it too hard for fear that I might break the odometer, and being that there is no gas gauge, that would not be good. IS there a trick to get it to come off? Thanks for your help.

I presume it must 'clip' in there somehow, because after all these years the one on my 750 keeps falling out. Do you have the service manual for the bike? If not, look it up online and you are sure to get your answer. There are links to manuals on this forum. Do a search for 'manuals' or 'workshop' or 'service'.

Comment

Pull it straight out. It is just on there with slight interference fit. I just took mine off of my 80 550E the other day to lube up the sticky mechanism inside.

Comment

There you go. I had presumed that (seeing as how mine falls out) but wasn't really sure. I plan to put a small dob of silicone on mine (so it stays in) but I will still be able to pull it out later.

Comment

The one on my 850 just pulled off. Took a pretty good tug to get it off.
          80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Thanks fellas! I do not have a service manual, so thanks again for the headsup about looking for the one here on the forum. Guess I will try to pull a bit harder.[-o<

Comment

Working...
            X