Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake hard to push

1981 GS750E

I just changed my sprockets and chain. When I put the rear wheel back on and took my test ride, I noticed that the rear brake seems quite a bit harder to operate. I was very careful to reinstall it just as it was (and supported it carefully when it was off the wheel).

What could I have done to mess it up?

Mike

Check fluid in master cylinder, Push pedal down VERY VERY HARD, release them completely. Do this about 10 times. Anytime I adjust chain I have to run up and downd the block, starting and stopping, about 10 times, then it's fine again. Don't know why.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay View Post
      Check fluid in master cylinder, Push pedal down VERY VERY HARD, release them completely. Do this about 10 times. Anytime I adjust chain I have to run up and downd the block, starting and stopping, about 10 times, then it's fine again. Don't know why.
      OK thanks .. I will give that a try this morning.

Mike

Comment

I have a 79 750L. Soon after I bought it two years ago, I chainged the chain as well, and the brakes would not work at all. The pedal was hard, but no brakes. Long story short, there was rust or dirt in the master cylinder that had blocked things up. I took it apart and cleaned everything, including the caliper cylinders, and put in fresh fluid. Has worked fine since. Just something to be aware of. It is a good idea to change the brake fluid in any vehichle once in a while as the moisture inhibiters break down.

Greg O

Comment

Maybe when the caliper was removed and laid sideways, the bad stuff was dislodged.

Mike

Comment

This is probably a problem with gunk in the MC or caliper, as noted above, but while you're there, you'll also want to make sure the pedal is able to move freely -- it should be greased where it pivots in the frame.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              This is probably a problem with gunk in the MC or caliper, as noted above, but while you're there, you'll also want to make sure the pedal is able to move freely -- it should be greased where it pivots in the frame.
              I will add that to the list of things yet to be done.

A test ride later today revealed that the issue is not as bad as it was earlier.

I have to read up on hydraulic brake maintenance (sure there are tons of posts). My other bike is cables and shoes front and rear !

Thanks for the tip.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X